Cyanobacteria After Water Change

OfcrReef1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all thanks in advance for any Information on this issue.

I did a 30% water change last night, also vacuumed my sand the water was crystal clear and sand was clean. Came home from work today and it looks like I had an outbreak of what looks like cyanobacteria. I am wondering why I am seeing this so fast after a water change.? I purchase my water from a LFS in my area could it be the water I'm buying? Maby it has too many nutrients?

Here are my parameters as of today.

Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Calcium 360
DKH 10/179 ppm KH
Temp 78
Salinity 1.024
Phosphate 0 ppm

I know my parameters are not perfect but what specifically could be causing a cyanobacteria outbreak.

20200408_173839.jpg
20200408_173900.jpg
20200408_173844.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There has to be either silicates or Phos present with water. Are you using tap or RO water ?

OP
OP
OfcrReef1

OfcrReef1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I use RODI water when I mix up salt myself. I have been buying pre mixed Instant ocean salt water from my LFS. I do not have access to tap water because I have well water where I live.
I have been using chemi-pure elite, Purigen & Matrix bio filtration media for awhile now.

Should have mentioned this in the original post.

Long story short I had a big algae problem in my display, did research and bought a biopellet reactor, ran it for a week and had huge outbreaks of Cyanobacteria. Did More research and found out that they release something into the water that requires a skimmer to remove it. I was unaware of that haven't turned it on since until I get a skimmer. So right now its just sitting in the back chamber of the tank not running. Im also wondering if that could be an issue maby its still releasing something into the water without running. Have you heard of this before? I will have to try and find the article I read.

Pictures are from the day I turned off my biopellets reactor after reading I need to run a skimmer also.
20200404_142154.jpg
20200404_142157.jpg

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing your water?
What test kit or kits?
I do not think your N and P are 0. If they are your opening yourself up for a dino problem.
While keeping a low nutrient tank will help with cyano it will always be in your tank. When you got rid of the alage the cyano took the oppertunity to grow. As new things grow the cyano should go away in time. Corals will block out the light it needs and use some nutrients it likes. Algae will grow back again and use up some more nutrients. For now I would just blow it off and siphon it out. Point a powerhead at it. It does not like flow. Turn the lights down if you can. Cyano in some cases can make its own food. It is a bacteria and not an algae but it does need light to grow

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a little cyano show up without a water change for the past two weeks a couple days ago, same with my 20 gallon quarantine. I still think it’s seasonal, you can call me crazy
B3686D6B-F59A-4028-91AF-DA3916956D79.jpeg

OP
OP
OfcrReef1

OfcrReef1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using API test kits although looking to get another kit just to ensure I'm getting an accurate reading. Great advice thanks I'm definitely going to lower my power head and turn down my lights.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes I use RODI water when I mix up salt myself. I have been buying pre mixed Instant ocean salt water from my LFS. I do not have access to tap water because I have well water where I live.
I have been using chemi-pure elite, Purigen & Matrix bio filtration media for awhile now.

Should have mentioned this in the original post.

Long story short I had a big algae problem in my display, did research and bought a biopellet reactor, ran it for a week and had huge outbreaks of Cyanobacteria. Did More research and found out that they release something into the water that requires a skimmer to remove it. I was unaware of that haven't turned it on since until I get a skimmer. So right now its just sitting in the back chamber of the tank not running. Im also wondering if that could be an issue maby its still releasing something into the water without running. Have you heard of this before? I will have to try and find the article I read.

Pictures are from the day I turned off my biopellets reactor after reading I need to run a skimmer also.
20200404_142154.jpg
20200404_142157.jpg
I too have well water but run a whole house carbon filter thru water softener and into my RO unit at 0 TDS and no cyano. It could very well be water from your LFS. Perhaps test that water before you enter it into your tank. Siphon this up ASAP and start using chemiclean to keep it under control

1586397199092.png

OP
OP
OfcrReef1

OfcrReef1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I was thinking I'm going to test it next time I get it, just to make sure it's not the water. Chemiclean is also going to be in my arsenal probably a last resort if all fails thanks for the tips.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From experience, I kept an ULN system for years back in the 2000's. Biopellets, carbon dosing will strip the water of nutrients to the point that it allow cyano to take hold. The reason is that theirs nothing to compete with it so it has a chance to grow. Of course the answer then was to increase the light in those areas and add better better water flow.

Although API is notorious for inaccurate results, I would suggest getting your N and P up to a manageable detectable levels and you will see the cyano disappear.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed... system is to low on nutrients. I was battling this issue not too long ago. I started feeding a bit more food. And did a little less volume of water during changes. Took a few weeks and it tapered off.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back