Cyanobacteria

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last week I noticed the dreaded red slime, cyanobacteria, in my biocube. It formed by my own stupidity. I am pretty sure that I have successfully got rid of it. I put my biocube on blackout, wrapped a towel around all viewing panels for 3 days, then put Chemi-Clean in the tank and let it run for 2 days. I have he Coralife protein skimmer, so I used the wooden air stone for that to oxygenate the water. Today was the second day with Chemi-Clean, so I did a 33% water change. Within the next 24 hours I will know if they Cyano is gone or not.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically I wait a full 48 hours sometimes even another day before I do a water change after chemiclean. You should see a significant decline in the Cyanobacteria post water change. Personally I do not do a complete black out for cyanobacteria but rather check nutrient levels, make sure flow is optimal and refrain from over feeding .

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's your sandbed and we have a giant thread showing fixes. Let's do another (take apart entire system and force clean)

Is there a sandbed here, pics

Any topical action or dosing that leaves the sandbed filthy= invasion comes back in a few, no way to escape the work factor required.

Last edited:
OP
OP
George Willings

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChemiClean took out the cyano, now for the dino. No bubbles with the dino, just the stringy snot like substance that comes right back after sucking it out with a turkey baster. So back to black out, and read something about raising my phosphates and nitrates. Plan on getting a carbon/gfo reactor soon along with an AI Prime HD. In the mean time I am starving the Dino's of light, and do have chateo in the refugium. Not going to scrape the glass for a while and keep light out for a few days. The refugium has constant light, par 38 grow light.

OP
OP
George Willings

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did vacuum the sand bed, right afer the 48 hour period with chemi-clean. Did near a ~33% water change (10 gallons) after the 48 hour period for chemi-clean. The Cyano was verified through a picture that I sent to WWC. What may be Dino's right now are just strings of snot like substance, but there are absolutely no bubbles what so ever, and it is a VERY minor outbreak of what might be Dino's. I stir up the sand, and remove some with a turkey baster, but if I turn on my white lights it grows back nearly instantly. Going to try running only blue lights for a while.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back