Cyanobacteria?

Technicorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone! I’ve been a lurker for some time now and i think its finally time to become part of the R2R family. I need help identifying this microscopy.
I’ve been battling dinoflagellates for about two weeks then some red, grey, and green substance started covering the entire substrate! As many people have commented, cyano blooms are common after dinos. The reason im having an issue is i am already on my 3rd dose of Dr. Tims Re-fresh (day 6) and it doesnt seem to affect them at all. I’ve followed the directions meticulously, and removed as much as i could before dosing and it keeps coming back. Is this cyano? Is it ok to keep dosing re-fresh every 2 days even though this is the 3rd dose already? Should i move on to waste away as the instructions say? Thanks so much for your help!

E27FA356-6434-4D04-BF15-A7452F30491A.jpeg E318FBB4-599E-44F4-94E1-DED6019E2D1D.jpeg 791A3C07-9D27-4750-9B80-2D1C3A1067AB.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like cyano to me. I've been battling it as well since getting dinos under control. I've nit used the ReFresh product, but I have been using Waste Away and it does seem to help some... but I still produce cyano it like crazy. I'll take cyano any day over dinos... im just slowly trying to get the whole system stable.

OP
OP
Technicorals

Technicorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like cyano to me. I've been battling it as well since getting dinos under control. I've nit used the ReFresh product, but I have been using Waste Away and it does seem to help some... but I still produce cyano it like crazy. I'll take cyano any day over dinos... im just slowly trying to get the whole system stable.
Im in the same boat my friend. Good luck to us both!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I battled small cell amphidinium dinos for a year with some improvement, but they always remained. I then did the Elegant Corals Dino/Cyano treatment and it cleared out my small cell dinos, but the cyano really took off as well as ostreopsis dinos got a foothold and quickly started taking over. So i hooked up a UV sterilizer and now no more dinos! But the cyano remains... i blow it off the rocks daily and it is getting less... but I know I feed a little heavy!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cyano yes and not a hard battle.
Begin with phosphate test which can be from your tap, over feeding and more.
Then siphon tank and reduce white lighting. ChemiClean will break this cyano down. Siphon after treatment and keep eye on or turn off skimmer as it can make skimmer go nuts.

OP
OP
Technicorals

Technicorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I battled small cell amphidinium dinos for a year with some improvement, but they always remained. I then did the Elegant Corals Dino/Cyano treatment and it cleared out my small cell dinos, but the cyano really took off as well as ostreopsis dinos got a foothold and quickly started taking over. So i hooked up a UV sterilizer and now no more dinos! But the cyano remains... i blow it off the rocks daily and it is getting less... but I know I feed a little heavy!
Yup, small cell amphidinium for me too. UV treatment did the trick for the dinos for me as well. Cant seem to shake the cyano tho.

OP
OP
Technicorals

Technicorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then siphon tank and reduce white lighting. ChemiClean will break this cyano down. Siphon after treatment and keep eye on or turn off skimmer as it can make skimmer go nuts.
I use RODI water only and phosphates are 0.03 ppm in the tank (measures 0 in fresh made saltwater). Im weary of using chemicals in the DT but might have to resort to chemiclean if i cant break this bloom. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Technicorals

Technicorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help!

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never dosed bacteria to kill off dinos, ive had them twice, the first time it was intro to a 10yr reefing hiatus and i got them on a new setup. i eventually got rid of them, but it was a PITA not knowing what to do. On the second setup i used UV and honestly, UV is the best thing for dinos, dose nitrates feed heavy get your phosphates up, then kill the cyano with chemiclean or redslim algae remover. works great. I had Dinos in the new setup for roughly 2 weeks. I ran the skimmer wet, removed the cup dumped the cup back into the tank, used the skimmer to aerate the water, dosed nitrates and phosphates use the UV, then killed the Cyano with flow and redslim remover, then did a 50% water change. walla.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back