Cyanobacteria

JohnG123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Have had a tank set up running for 4 years now but a month ago have had a growth of red slime algae which I believe is called Cyanobacteria. Have tried manual removal but no luck. All tests are normal and doing regular water changes. Any ideas?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Have had a tank set up running for 4 years now but a month ago have had a growth of red slime algae which I believe is called Cyanobacteria. Have tried manual removal but no luck. All tests are normal and doing regular water changes. Any ideas?
Do you have a photo under white light?

Also Nitrate and Phosphate measurements?

Are there bubbles attached?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Not much to go on. How long ago did you first see a red blush? Where is it growing?

You could use ChemiClean or you could try tweaking water parameters.

OP
OP
J

JohnG123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo under white light?

Also Nitrate and Phosphate measurements?

Are there bubbles attached?
Have to wait 3 hours for the lights to come on. Phosphate 0.05 Nitrate 0. Some air bubbles on the rocks.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to wait 3 hours for the lights to come on. Phosphate 0.05 Nitrate 0. Some air bubbles on the rocks.
I'd bring the nitrate up to about 5 ppm, vacuum out daily and increase flow.

It should clear up on its own In a week or so.

The Phosphate levels are fine.

You could use something like Chemiclean if you wish to go the chemical route.

OP
OP
J

JohnG123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd bring the nitrate up to about 5 ppm, vacuum out daily and increase flow.

It should clear up on its own In a week or so.

The Phosphate levels are fine.

You could use something like Chemiclean if you wish to go the chemical route.
Thanks

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been advised to use Cyno solution to get rid of the Cyno??

Be careful using things like chemclean or cyano solution. These products kill bacteria. They don’t discriminate, so they can also kill good bacteria. I would only use these as a last resort. Try getting your NO3 up and vacuuming out the cyano. Cyano can also,thrive if there is a lot of dissolved organics in the water or accumulating in the substrate.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful using things like chemclean or cyano solution. These products kill bacteria. They don’t discriminate, so they can also kill good bacteria. I would only use these as a last resort. Try getting your NO3 up and vacuuming out the cyano. Cyano can also,thrive if there is a lot of dissolved organics in the water or accumulating in the substrate.
ChemiClean is a gram negative bacteria probiotic. It does discriminate and it does work when directions are followed.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChemiClean is a gram negative bacteria probiotic. It does discriminate and it does work when directions are followed.
So are you saying that Chemiclean will only kill the bacteria that causes Cyano and nothing else? I am not an expert in that field and would like to know.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an antibiotic - erythromycin. It affects gram negative bacteria.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you saying that Chemiclean will only kill the bacteria that causes Cyano and nothing else? I am not an expert in that field and would like to know.
No. It will affect other gram negative bacteria as well, including BB (beneficial bacteria).

Found on another forum:
"Erythromycin is a potent antibiotic that will affect many strains of bacteria, including nitrifying bacteria. Antibiotics do not "kill" bacteria. They interfere with the reproductive process so the bacteria cannot replicate. Thus, they eventually die out."

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It will affect other gram negative bacteria as well, including BB (beneficial bacteria).

Found on another forum:
"Erythromycin is a potent antibiotic that will affect many strains of bacteria, including nitrifying bacteria. Antibiotics do not "kill" bacteria. They interfere with the reproductive process so the bacteria cannot replicate. Thus, they eventually die out."

Not to diminish what someone said on another forum, I prefer to base my information source on documentation. I think what @Randy Holmes-Farley said here is pragmatic. He has used it. He thinks some Cynobacteria in a reef tank is not a bad thing. Yes, ChemiClean has “some” Erythromycin in it. In large enough doses, erythromycin kills other bacteria.

OP
OP
J

JohnG123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to diminish what someone said on another forum, I prefer to base my information source on documentation. I think what @Randy Holmes-Farley said here is pragmatic. He has used it. He thinks some Cynobacteria in a reef tank is not a bad thing. Yes, ChemiClean has “some” Erythromycin in it. In large enough doses, erythromycin kills other bacteria.

Sorry but I didn’t understand your answer. Is it safe to use Cyno Solution?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but I didn’t understand your answer. Is it safe to use Cyno Solution?

Could you take a picture using white light, to illustrate how bad of a Cynobacteria problem you have. I have used ChemiClean when required.

Note Cynobacteria between glass and substrate. This sandbed is 25 years mature.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 96

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back