OP
OP
Briguy350

Briguy350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill pluck a few crabs out my current setup and toss them in and keep adding little by little and keep testing. You find so many different answers on the web so it's hard to tell what's true or not. I've seen pictures of people with completely stocked reef tanks that are just over a month old so is there one true answer, I don't know. Thanks

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is going to be different and depending on how you start up your tank will make a difference also. Someone who uses all live cured rock or the majority of their rock has been cured will experience a shorter cycle time and can start adding to their system quicker than if you start with rock that is dried and need to let the biological filtration, your nitrifying bacteria, build in the system. Give it time and patience and remember that nothing good happens fast in a reef tank ;) Continue testing your water parameters watching for ammonia and nitrites.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy just cycled a 180 gallon tank in 5 days. He used Dr. Tim's one and only and in his tank he currently has a harlequin tusk and a blue hippo tang.

My 120 gallon tank took 8 weeks and one month after that all I had was two pair of clowns.

The only thing that doesn't change is the stages. They will always happen and they take time. There is no one correct way to go through the cycle.

If you want to speed it up a little just drop some ammonia in the tank. The link I posted didn't seem to open for me. It says to use 6% ammonia at 1/2 teaspoon per 20 gallons.

I personally have not done this but Dr. Tim said if you don't want to cycle with a fish using his "One and Only" then use the ammonia.

Back