Cycle Process Help

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure I would clean it so it doesn't turn into a large dino infestation etc. I sure would siphon it out easily from the top layers / keep it all clean until the system is able to wo much intervention. others will tell you to leave it alone/its an uglies phase you can choose which direction is best for your tank and $

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha! Thankyou for your help!

I'll just leave it alone then.

Are you able to advise on the lights? I'm honestly not sure where to start with them, but the profile I have seems ok?
I would NEVER run lights during cycle. I know thats tough to do, but in the long run, the benfits out weigh any joy of viewing rock with ligts on during cycle.

OP
OP
tuxy_v8

tuxy_v8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure I would clean it so it doesn't turn into a large dino infestation etc. I sure would siphon it out easily from the top layers / keep it all clean until the system is able to wo much intervention. others will tell you to leave it alone/its an uglies phase you can choose which direction is best for your tank and $

Ok, I've siphoned as much out as I can.

If the salinity levels are dropping due to Salt water being removed and RO water being added via the ATO system, do I need to add more salt in the sump to bring the salinity level back up?

OP
OP
tuxy_v8

tuxy_v8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would NEVER run lights during cycle. I know thats tough to do, but in the long run, the benfits out weigh any joy of viewing rock with ligts on during cycle.

I didn't think it was actually cycling (based on what Brandon has said), I thought it was just settling down and allowing any issues to sail by before I add fish and corals.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bac are there for the nitrification process, added by bottle
he's meaning its best not to practice full mode lighting until we have animals that need it/corals etc. it causes lots of extra growth and cleaning needs

OP
OP
tuxy_v8

tuxy_v8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bac are there for the nitrification process, added by bottle
he's meaning its best not to practice full mode lighting until we have animals that need it/corals etc. it causes lots of extra growth and cleaning needs

No worries, I'll turn it off. I'm not bothered if it's on or off. I just want todo what rights.

OP
OP
tuxy_v8

tuxy_v8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the salinity levels are dropping due to Salt water being removed and RO water being added via the ATO system, do I need to add more salt in the sump to bring the salinity level back up?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mix salt in tank it's not a good practice. Find other ways to keep salinity in line

Back