Stuck Nitrite Levels During Cycling

thiagobarnabe

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 4, 2024
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Location
São Paulo, Brazil
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'm seeking some insights and guidance on my reef cycling process.

I initiated the cycling process on March 18th, which means I’ve been cycling for approximately 47 days now.

Once the ammonia level dropped to zero on April 3rd, I began testing for nitrite. Currently, there are no animals in the tank, and the ammonia level is at zero. However, the nitrite levels have consistently remained fixed at 2.8 ppm for over three weeks now.

I'm using a test kit that has a maximum scale of 2.8 ppm for nitrite, which could mean that the actual level may be higher than this.

My tank is a little over 18 gallons and is equipped with Seachem Matrix biological media, a layout with Marco dry Rocks, and an acrylic pad for mechanical filtration.

I've been dosing Seachem Stability biological accelerator since the beginning and adopted the ghost feeding method.

It seems I'm facing a standstill in the nitrogen cycle. I've come across conflicting advice online, with some suggesting to wait it out patiently, while others recommend a substantial water change, upwards of 50%.

What would be the best approach at this point? Should I stop dosing Seachem Stability? Should I continue to wait it out or consider a substantial water change?

Appreciate any insights or advice you can offer!

IMG_0799.jpeg
 
If it eats ammonia, it is safe for fishes.

Did you measure nitrates, I am fairly certain you have them.

If this is a coral tank then I think it is also safe for corals. They are happy to have a little ammonia to feed on.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new