Cycle question, testing different ammonia values

WrasseMan89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been cycling about 2 weeks, used fritz ammonia to 2ppm and live bacteria to Kickstart it. I've left it alone for the most part to let it do it's thing but I'm really confused. I have 2 different kind of tests,a fluval test and a salifert test. Fluval is showing ammonia over 6 and salifert is looking about 1.5. Temp is 78.5, 7.9ph, 1.025 salinity. Not sure what to do, one of the tests are bonkers but if fluval is right then I'm way overdosed.
1000007575.jpg

1000007576.jpg

gilbert23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know anything about Fritz. But when I was starting out my tanks I have three. I used prime and stability. Dosing the prime every 24 hours and stability for 7 days straight. Prime detoxify’s ammonia out of water which you want it to reach 0. Along with nitrite 0. Which that will change to nitrates you want the nitrate to rise while the ammonia and nitrites read 0. So I would personally get a different test kit. You have any fish or anything in tank. Those are dangerous levels?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post #3

OP
OP
W

WrasseMan89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know anything about Fritz. But when I was starting out my tanks I have three. I used prime and stability. Dosing the prime every 24 hours and stability for 7 days straight. Prime detoxify’s ammonia out of water which you want it to reach 0. Along with nitrite 0. Which that will change to nitrates you want the nitrate to rise while the ammonia and nitrites read 0. So I would personally get a different test kit. You have any fish or anything in tank. Those are dangerous levels?
Yea my LFS uses salifert so that's what I originally went with but I needed a nitrite test so I picked up the fluval since it came with all of them. It's an empty tank so that's good.

OP
OP
W

WrasseMan89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post #3
Holy cow, thanks for this. I'm putting my Fluval right in the garbage can.

gilbert23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they are expensive but if you got the money get the Hannah checker. I use those for only my calcium,kh,nitrate,phosphate. I use the api test for my ammonia nitrite and the Red Sea for my mag lol. Went a little over board but reliable test kits are a must in the hobby.

OP
OP
W

WrasseMan89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they are expensive but if you got the money get the Hannah checker. I use those for only my calcium,kh,nitrate,phosphate. I use the api test for my ammonia nitrite and the Red Sea for my mag lol. Went a little over board but reliable test kits are a must in the hobby.
I actually have hanna checkers for phosphate, alkalinity, copper, and nitrate but I didn't think I needed ammonia because I really wouldn't need to test for it outside of a cycle so I didn't get it haha. I have salifert for my mag but I picked up the fluval cause I didn't have anything for nitrite and I wanted to check it.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna for DKH, Phos and Calc levels, API for Nitrates. I don't see a need to test for ammonia or nitrites. In fact I don't even own nitrite tests because they are useless. If you have ammonia you will have nitrites and very very soon nitrates. There is no need to test nitrites at all IMO. I have probe testers for salinity and temp.

Unless your running a super SPS dominate tank, I really don't see the need to test for Calc that often. My experience has been my softy dominate doesn't uptake calc hardly at all. Mostly because I don't have a lot of SPS corals. Now if I see a rapid increase the growth of the coraline I will test more often obviously.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly why we invented testless reef tank cycling

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back