OP
OP
S

shrive81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everyone's input and any and all advice as I think everyone on here is just trying to help and this is an always evolving hobby

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my aim in the way I posted was to first be clear on what you were saying, asking you to confirm if I understood clearly or you had explained your point correctly instead of assuming I had understood correctly and then to comment on that, hence why I asked the question the way I did.

Maybe just have a bad taste in my mouth from you calling me Ignorant before completely un-called for, out of the blue, in another thread when I ASKED A question of my own to clarify information. Guess it's not so ignorant to clarify information?

But. Who knows.

I'm done. Good day.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life rock + bottled bac + 8 days + presence of nitrite + 100 gallons = fine to add some fish

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just have a bad taste in my mouth from you calling me Ignorant before completely un-called for, out of the blue, in another thread when I ASKED A question of my own to clarify information. Guess it's not so ignorant to clarify information?

But. Who knows.

I'm done. Good day.

wow you really are trying to misrepresent what was said, if anyone reads this please go back and read the thread and you’ll see I was not the one that was rude in any way, you were the one that called yourself ignorant and I jokingly reminded you of that after you came after me from nowhere, was very strange how fast you turned on me for no reason, same in this thread.

sorry op I will stop posting on your thread now.

skp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your bacteria seeded rock is counter productive to the bacteria in a bottle method. The idea is to dose Ammonia nutrient and then dose bacteria to take up the ammonia and covert it to nitrates. If you had nothing else but the ammonia and the bacteria in a bottle, then you would be able to accurately measure the progress. If you still have ammonia, then add some bacteria and wait until you have 0 ammonia and your nitrates stop increasing for a few days. Then, do a water change to bring down your nitrates. The level of ammonia that you reached at the beginning will dictate how much of a bioload you can handle at the start of introducing fish. Here are some other tips. Bio media in the sump helps by giving a surface area for the bacteria to proliferate. Add some copepods and phyto and try to achieve a 16:1 ratio of nitrate:phosphate before bringing everything down together through water changes. Good luck.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redundant perhaps, not counter-productive.

skp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redundant perhaps, not counter-productive.
That's what I thought as well but it turns out that there is more to it than just bacteria is bacteria. The bacteria spores that are shipped with dry rock is genetically engineered bacteria to survive the dry transport through various temperatures. They are not the bacteria that are found in the oceans and in live rock. At best, they are causing a soft cycle. I don't know this as a fact but they can be hindering the growth of the proper bacteria as they are considered incompatible with the base nitrifying bacteria. One thing I do know is that I managed a 6 day cycle with ammonia nutrient and microbacter start xlm. There seems to be people who took much longer with the same ammonia and start xlm but with dry seeded rock as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back