Cycle: Worried if ammonia is too high?

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Falling right in line with what brandon previously stated, my API kit has been reading .25 for 2-3 days now. Have a fresh 40g of saltwater mixing, tomorrow the water is getting changed. Would you advise re-dosing ammonia to make sure the tank processes it within 24hrs? Or should I just have faith that the cycle has completed?

20211220_141424.jpg 20211220_140757.jpg 20211220_140834.jpg
In my opinion, you already have enough bacteria to convert the ammonia, so no need to dose more ammonia. It will just turn into more nitrates.

OP
OP
M

M3ntal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, you already have enough bacteria to convert the ammonia, so no need to dose more ammonia. It will just turn into more nitrates.
That makes sense. I'd just be shooting myself in the foot so soon after the water change.

OP
OP
M

M3ntal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many days now? I did 15 days full waterchange and added fish 3 hours later. Enough bacteria to process your ammonia, you will be right if you reached number of days as previously mentioned by @brandon429
Bacteria went in with the water on Nov 29. Ammonia was dosed Nov 30. So I'm about 21 days into the cycle. I should be good to go I think. Talking with CultivatedReef now about a few clowns for my first tank inhabitants.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been two weeks since page one

Follow the advice post the pics not of the test kit, but of the running reef carrying bioload and working well

Change the wastewater for new as covered, begin, and when you post non digital readings anyway after this much advice, we ignore them and focus on how clear the water looks and how happy the fish will be right as the test kit i had advised to quit referencing causes you complete concern and worry deep into the new year

I just told another poster not to buy a seneye, that our predictions are free. M3ental should buy one, opposite recommend. In the chemistry forum just now he chose to agree vs doubt there won't be any ongoing concern

buy the seneye to resolve cycling trust issues and you'll see how bad the non digital kits have been misleading you so far

OP
OP
M

M3ntal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been two weeks since page one

Follow the advice post the pics not of the test kit, but of the running reef carrying bioload and working well

Change the wastewater for new as covered, begin, and when you post non digital readings anyway after this much advice, we ignore them and focus on how clear the water looks and how happy the fish will be right as the test kit i had advised to quit referencing causes you complete concern and worry deep into the new year

I just told another poster not to buy a seneye, that our predictions are free. M3ental should buy one, opposite recommend. In the chemistry forum just now he chose to agree vs doubt there won't be any ongoing concern

buy the seneye to resolve cycling trust issues and you'll see how bad the non digital kits have been misleading you so far
Apologies. More-so posted the pictures of the test results for anyone in the future looking through threads and questioning things the same way I was. It's also confirming exactly what you stated earlier. I plan to drop the color testing, I have a few Hanna checkers on the way. A seneye would be nice, but I feel like the money spent on it is better spent elsewhere and I've read a lot of people don't depend on the PAR meter aspect of it.

Water is getting changed today since salt has mixed for 24hrs. First fish will probably be going in early next week.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key to the cycle in this post is we do NOT have to wait weeks upon weeks to clear waste water that’s old cycling science, pure doubt mode.

if we get lucky and the test kits agree it’s dropped thats fine, change water so you don’t have algae fuel mentioned above / clean start

and if the tests advised not to use still show ammonia, which is safe not elevated the kits are simply wrong any stuck cycle post search shows, we’re changing water to ease concern for the Op because that’s factually zero ammonia water and the bacteria have been stuck to the rocks this whole time. We would change the wastewater for known safe water no kit would be required to confirm, and then when you add fish the rocks handle things daily and the water stays clear and the fish are fine

the way you know if seneye needs to be bought here is if the urge to test for ammonia still persists after all this work and timing. If internal pressure still advises referencing a test, use seneye, don’t use kits found to misread everyday in forums across reefing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back