Cycling 55 gallon, algae on live rock

Corapandora96

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 3, 2026
Messages
36
Reaction score
18
Location
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Ive started cycling a 55 gallon tank stocked with sand some dry rock and some live rock. No fish. Filled with Distilled water and used raw shrimp as my ammonia starter.

Ammonia reading yesterday was .25, no Nitrites or nitrates being read, PH at 8.2.

I looked in there today and I have a bunch of algea on one of my live rocks. The sand has taken on some brown coloring on top with occasional light pink areas.

The other live rock and the dry rock do not currently look to have any algae. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

20260307_103111.jpg 20260307_103115.jpg 20260307_101954.jpg 20260307_101930.jpg 20260307_101924.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new