Cycling 6 weeks

Martin1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been cycling my nano 35 litre tank. I have live sand fake rock and 4 weeks ago I went to a shop and they said to put in some snails and crabs. So I got 2 snails and 2 hermit crabs and by accident a small starfish. For over 2 weeks now my no2 no3 and nh have been high and not going down. I new to this so wish I never got the livestock. I put in ammonia 3 weeks ago and added fluval biological enhancer. What do you think I should do. Leave it for longer. Big water change. Do you think I'm cycled or stalled.

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Typically you don't want to add the cleanup crew (snails/hermits) until there is some algae for them to eat. But have you been adding any food for them to eat? 3 weeks should be enough to get some biological filtration going.
Do you have a skimmer on this tank? Are you planning on doing weekly water changes to keep up with water quality?
Post your actual test number results please.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been cycling my nano 35 litre tank. I have live sand fake rock and 4 weeks ago I went to a shop and they said to put in some snails and crabs. So I got 2 snails and 2 hermit crabs and by accident a small starfish. For over 2 weeks now my no2 no3 and nh have been high and not going down. I new to this so wish I never got the livestock. I put in ammonia 3 weeks ago and added fluval biological enhancer. What do you think I should do. Leave it for longer. Big water change. Do you think I'm cycled or stalled.
50% water change, add some bottled bacteria (if you have not already done that, and add a fish.

OP
OP
M

Martin1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically you don't want to add the cleanup crew (snails/hermits) until there is some algae for them to eat. But have you been adding any food for them to eat? 3 weeks should be enough to get some biological filtration going.
Do you have a skimmer on this tank? Are you planning on doing weekly water changes to keep up with water quality?
Post your actual test number results please.
I'll to the tests in an hour when I'm home. I have a skimmer but was told to take it of for the cycle. I was going to do a weekly water change.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how well the fluval bacteria works but you can dump the whole bottle in if you haven't

OP
OP
M

Martin1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50% water change, add some bottled bacteria (if you have not already done that, and add a fish.
Thank you for your help. I have 25 litres of real sea water and my tank is 35 litre. Should I do the 25 litre water change and do I need to add the bacteria still

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stop adding ammonia to the tank when there is livestock in the tank, ammonia can kill livestock.

I would guess the snails died due to no food in the tank, I normally wait to add snails and crabs until there is algae for them to eat.

I would suggest to add a pic of your tank if you can, a picture tells a thousand words.

OP
OP
M

Martin1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stop adding ammonia to the tank when there is livestock in the tank, ammonia can kill livestock.

I would guess the snails died due to no food in the tank, I normally wait to add snails and crabs until there is algae for them to eat.

I would suggest to add a pic of your tank if you can, a picture tells a thousand words.

Attachments

• 20231109_091046.jpg
    20231109_091046.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 17

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 weeks in, you are cycled.

OP
OP
M

Martin1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I added a picture. Also this morning my no2 is 0.2 yesterday it was 0.5. My ammonia is 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back