Cycling a tank for copepods

bluey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys and gals (again!) i just wanted to ask if anyone has any information or heard anything about cycling your tank that you're using exclusively for copepods? i've added used filter media and cultured live rock to my copepod tank that houses only copepods (like 3-5 different kinds) i've been culturing for 5 months in preparation for a pair of mandarin gobies (what else? lol) right now my tank is so thick with copepods it looks like snow blowing around in a blizzard...just wondering...i've not really had to do a water change out of necessity....ever....(5 months) does anyone have any input into this situation...as to where you can potentially sustain a copepod population for extremely long periods of time without necessary water changes...i'm still going to do water changes but i want to minimize it because my wife will have a hard time lifting a 5 gallon bucket (she's tiny) and i want to make it easier

if you have any information about this, let me know what you use as a CuC inside to take care of the sludge that is created! thanks so much

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you added media or rock from an established tank then the copapod tank is already cycled so no worries there. And they can withstand pretty dirty water but it will either need occasional water changes or sufficient filtration.

OP
OP
bluey

bluey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you added media or rock from an established tank then the copapod tank is already cycled so no worries there. And they can withstand pretty dirty water but it will either need occasional water changes or sufficient filtration.
i'm not sure what kind of filtration would be usable....most anything i can think of would catch them i've been particular to not have any filtration because of this....i was thinking a CuC...thoughts?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm not sure what kind of filtration would be usable....most anything i can think of would catch them i've been particular to not have any filtration because of this....i was thinking a CuC...thoughts?
A canister filter wouldn't hurt them. Actually it would give them more living space. Or if this is just a copapod breeding tank, not a show tank you can make one of my patented filters. Take a water bottle, cut off the bottom, jam it full of filter floss, and attach a small powerhead to the small drinking end. Bam, copapod safe diy filter.

As far as clean up crew helping reduce water changes I don't think so. Cuc is fun to look at and certain ones eat certain unwanted algae but they don't clean the water. They add to the bioload

OP
OP
bluey

bluey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fair enough just mark a spot on tank for about 3gal and a spot on the bucket for 3 gal....that should help her lift it so she can do a water change....no cuc is viable is what ur telling me for the sludge on the bottom....cool thanks for the input

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no cuc is viable is what ur telling me for the sludge on the bottom....cool thanks for the input
Depending on what the sludge is something might eat it, but the clean up crew you add won't reduce the amount of water changes needed

OP
OP
bluey

bluey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what the sludge is something might eat it, but the clean up crew you add won't reduce the amount of water changes needed
yeah understood, i just wanted something to eat the ultra dark green slime crap that comes from the phyto and copepod poo

OP
OP
bluey

bluey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as of right now i'm going through half a bottle of phytofeast every week to keep them eating good

Back