Cycling help for newbie

Ry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys so i have my tank which has had fish and coral in now for 7 weeks. I have just finished my tests and i still have 0.2 of Nitrite and 10 for Nitrate, is this normal 7 weeks in? Ammonia is at <0.05. I only dis a 10% water change 2 days ago as well which i am now doing weekly.
Thanks for all your help.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys so i have my tank which has had fish and coral in now for 7 weeks. I have just finished my tests and i still have 0.2 of Nitrite and 10 for Nitrate, is this normal 7 weeks in? Ammonia is at <0.05. I only dis a 10% water change 2 days ago as well which i am now doing weekly.

Most likely nothing more than Testing Error on the kits.

Seven weeks of fish and coral, and no loses? Then testing error.

BTW Welcome to R2R.

SeriousBothBronco-size_restricted.gif

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree most likely testing error. What kit are you using? Nitrates will all depend on feeding and filtering methods. My Nitrates fluctuate like crazy, I overfeed and I do 10 - 20% water changes weekly. My tank is a little over 3 months old. I am not worrying about nitrates or phosphates too much. New tanks need a year or so to stabilize. Just try to let the tank do what it wants and don't chase numbers too much. Nothing good ever happens quickly in a reef tank.
Ammonia and nitrites need to be 0 BTW. Your tank may not be fully cycled.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would supplement with some bacteria in a bottle (Dr Tims of Microbacter 7). You need more nitrifying bacteria to eliminate with ammonia and nitrite and establish stable biological filtration. I'm surprised you have coral in a not fully cycled new tank - braver man than me. Nitrates high - maybe consider feeding less? When nitrates and phosphates are high it is the breeding ground for nuisance algae. Best to you.

OP
OP
Ry1

Ry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree most likely testing error. What kit are you using? Nitrates will all depend on feeding and filtering methods. My Nitrates fluctuate like crazy, I overfeed and I do 10 - 20% water changes weekly. My tank is a little over 3 months old. I am not worrying about nitrates or phosphates too much. New tanks need a year or so to stabilize. Just try to let the tank do what it wants and don't chase numbers too much. Nothing good ever happens quickly in a reef tank.
Ammonia and nitrites need to be 0 BTW. Your tank may not be fully cycled.
I am using a JBL pro

OP
OP
Ry1

Ry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would supplement with some bacteria in a bottle (Dr Tims of Microbacter 7). You need more nitrifying bacteria to eliminate with ammonia and nitrite and establish stable biological filtration. I'm surprised you have coral in a not fully cycled new tank - braver man than me. Nitrates high - maybe consider feeding less? When nitrates and phosphates are high it is the breeding ground for nuisance algae. Best to you.
Ok thanks, and yea i was advised my lfs that i could have The coral and fish unfortunately.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, and yea i was advised my lfs that i could have The coral and fish unfortunately.
I'd get a new LFS. Sounds like they are more interested in making money over successful reefkeepers. If your fish and corrals are still doing good then quickly add some Dr. Tims one and only or Micrbactor XLM, but don't add any ammonia.

OP
OP
Ry1

Ry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not personally familiar with those, but I wouldn't trust test strips personally. They go bad quickly and any moisture will stop them from being accurate. High humidity is a major problem for them.
Yea, they are not strips, they are colour tests that i do vials.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back