Cycling live rock

I have to dose potassium nitrate in my tank. The only nutrient removal I have is live rock

I hear you, but at the end of a cycle sometimes the nitrate is higher than it will ever be again. It's never been a problem for me in my saltwater tank but sometimes it happens.
 
Your nitrates dropped from 80-160 to 20? Are you sure? That doesn't seem possible without doing a big water change. And yes, your nitrites should go down first. Nitrates stay in the water so water changes are the only way to bring them down unless you have a skimmer or some sort of nitrate reducing media. Test error maybe?

I know. It seems weird to me, but it has dropped that much, nitrites have not.
 
I know. It seems weird to me, but it has dropped that much, nitrites have not.

Could be a testing error. Are you using API? I still do for my FW and sometimes the test doesn't change colors. Try again and see what you get.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new