cycling my nano Reef

Flavio Reis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been cycling my nano Reef with dr tims one and for 2 weeks and the ammonia doesn't go down.

16692023513664509772510100482324.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you do is change the water for new and its done

Your test is messing with you, the cycle isn't broken. If you added fish rn they'd live fine: the test is wrong, not the bacteria

That's real live rock in the center isn't it

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What test are you using, what ammonia reading do you have, and how are you increasing that ammonia level?

Double-check that you're using the test correctly, just in case. Maybe test a sample of RODI water to be sure you can actually read a 0.

Anything in there that could be adding ammonia, maybe die-off of live rock or snails?

The tank should be cycled, but there's no harm in confirming that it is. Rule out spoiled bottle bacteria and the like.

OP
OP
F

Flavio Reis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test are you using, what ammonia reading do you have, and how are you increasing that ammonia level?

Double-check that you're using the test correctly, just in case. Maybe test a sample of RODI water to be sure you can actually read a 0.

Anything in there that could be adding ammonia, maybe die-off of live rock or snails?

The tank should be cycled, but there's no harm in confirming that it is. Rule out spoiled bottle bacteria and the like.
I am using Caribsea Liferock Original in the center and use Dr Tim's one and only it has 2 days and the ammonia is at 5 ppm I am using the marine lab test. Media Matrix in the filter. should wait a few more days for the ammonia to decrease? thanks

OP
OP
F

Flavio Reis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
expand...
I am using Caribsea Liferock Original in the center and use Dr Tim's one and only it has 2 days and the ammonia is at 5 ppm I am using the marine lab test. Media Matrix in the filter. should wait a few more days for the ammonia to decrease? thanks

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are you producing ammonia? Dosing, rotting shrimp?

That's not much water in that vial. I'm not familiar with this test kit; how much water does it want you to have in there?

OP
OP
F

Flavio Reis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you producing ammonia? Dosing, rotting shrimp?

That's not much water in that vial. I'm not familiar with this test kit; how much water does it want you to have in there?
I used this product to put ammonia in the Tank. Do a 75% water change to reduce ammonia. I saw in other threads that very high ammonia delays the cycling of the aquarium.

Waterlife Biomature Safely Start Filters​

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A water change is probably a good idea, yeah. I can't find anything that actually says what's in that stuff, but it sounds like maybe you've added too much?

Also, this.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back