Cycling new frag tank

Hawkeyebeek8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g long frag tank that’s been up about 6 months but have the opportunity to buy a 60g frag tank.
If I use the 20g as my sump and keep the same water, filters, rock, skimmer, etc...will I have to take my frags out in order to fully cycle the new tank or can I use everything and not have to worry about a cycle. Or should I just buy a new sump and just start a cycle now and let my corals stay in the old frag tank until the new one is cycled.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g long frag tank that’s been up about 6 months but have the opportunity to buy a 60g frag tank.
If I use the 20g as my sump and keep the same water, filters, rock, skimmer, etc...will I have to take my frags out in order to fully cycle the new tank or can I use everything and not have to worry about a cycle. Or should I just buy a new sump and just start a cycle now and let my corals stay in the old frag tank until the new one is cycled.
I would be worried about keeping parameters stable, you may not need to let it cycle by connecting them together but things could get out of whack quick with increasing the capacity that much and you may experience a crash

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back