Cycling new tank

Buttsnorkler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tank is a 95 gal I will be using turbo start 900 and add 2 clowns to help it cycle faster. My question would be when do I add the live rock? And also I read a lot about having to keep the lights off to prevent algae from growing on the rocks. Please help

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much you can do about getting the Brownies/Dinos. It's going to happen at some point. Keeping your lights off will certainly help, but not eliminate the possibility.

As a beginner, I highly recommend you find everything you can for beginners here at R2R. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Read everything, because eventually you're going to need to know. If you only research one particular problem at a time, you will always be behind the curve. You don't want to be behind the curve because you didn't spend the time

I was in SFO 40+ years ago. Reefing only 9 months. Everything has changed dramatically. Fortunately, I had the basic knowledge

Unfortunately, I can't help with live rock. I built my Aquascape with Marco Rock.

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tank is a 95 gal I will be using turbo start 900 and add 2 clowns to help it cycle faster. My question would be when do I add the live rock? And also I read a lot about having to keep the lights off to prevent algae from growing on the rocks. Please help
Add the clowns after the turbo start cycle, don’t combine. Live rock can go in before anything else.

OP
OP
B

Buttsnorkler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much you can do about getting the Brownies/Dinos. It's going to happen at some point. Keeping your lights off will certainly help, but not eliminate the possibility.

As a beginner, I highly recommend you find everything you can for beginners here at R2R. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Read everything, because eventually you're going to need to know. If you only research one particular problem at a time, you will always be behind the curve. You don't want to be behind the curve because you didn't spend the time

I was in SFO 40+ years ago. Reefing only 9 months. Everything has changed dramatically. Fortunately, I had the basic knowledge

Unfortunately, I can't help with live rock. I built my Aquascape with Marco Rock.
Thank you

OP
OP
B

Buttsnorkler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the clowns after the turbo start cycle, don’t combine. Live rock can go in before anything else.
I’m confused so do I put in the live rock before the turbo cycle or after ? Or do I put the turbo first then add the clowns and wait later for the live rock?

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused so do I put in the live rock before the turbo cycle or after ? Or do I put the turbo first then add the clowns and wait later for the live rock?
Live rock goes in with water and sand, then turbo start. Clowns go in after cycle is all done, so like 3 weeks after the turbo start.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock goes in with water and sand, then turbo start. Clowns go in after cycle is all done, so like 3 weeks after the turbo start.

This order is correct, but if you're actually using live rock (not dry rock), you probably won't have to wait 3 weeks for the clowns. Test for ammonia and nitrate every other day or so...when ammonia is steady at zero and nitrates are climbing, you can add the clowns.

Also, you can save the "emergency" tag for when something is truly an emergency.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back