Cycling quarantine tank

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new tank but it is not ready to start cycling. Black Friday is coming up though so I wanted to get some coral and one fish so I am setting up a temporary holding/quarantine tank to put them for the time being. Right now I am seeding a sponge filter in my other tank. When should I put the sponge filter and a piece of live rock into the quarantine? Should it be the same day as putting in the one fish and the coral, or should I add it a few days before and dose some ammonia to it?

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some bio spira. Should I just move the sponge filter now and dose the tank with bio spira and start it cycling or should I let it seed some more? I will also be adding about a pound of 2 year old live rock

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some bio spira. Should I just move the sponge filter now and dose the tank with bio spira and start it cycling or should I let it seed some more? I will also be adding about a pound of 2 year old live rock
Yes start now, you could also pick up some Dr Tim's one & only.

Erick375

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question: setting up a quarantine tank, any reason not to use water pulled from the display tank? pulling out spare bioballs from the sump and some live rock from the tank. If I do this, isn’t the tank cycled?

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question: setting up a quarantine tank, any reason not to use water pulled from the display tank? pulling out spare bioballs from the sump and some live rock from the tank. If I do this, isn’t the tank cycled?
I tried using some live rock from my tank to cycle it. It didn’t work. I think you need a lot in order for it to actually instant cycle

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water from your existing tank, (example 10 gal QT tank, 5 gal from display and 5 gal new water), your rock, seeded sponge and some bottled bacteria should do the trick

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water from your existing tank, (example 10 gal QT tank, 5 gal from display and 5 gal new water), your rock, seeded sponge and some bottled bacteria should do the trick
Water doesn’t house bacteria though. I guess it won’t make it a little easier on the bacteria with the change in chemistry but it won’t do much

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water doesn’t house bacteria though. I guess it won’t make it a little easier on the bacteria with the change in chemistry but it won’t do much

To each their own. I did that exact thing and it had worked for me. I had to QT my 3 foot eel for awhile, and I never had a cycle from it. My local lfs, and the marine biologist I know both told me the same thing.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back