Cycling question

josh88997766

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 9, 2025
Messages
172
Reaction score
51
Location
franklin
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a nano saltwater tank for probably 3 months it’s a 10g using tap it houses a single clownfish currently haven’t turned on any lights to prevent insane algae growth during its initial cycle how much longer till I can start turning on lights without worrying about a ton of algae growth (cycled with live rock sand and bottled bacteria)
 
In general I find that 3 months is enough time for rock to become populated enough with bacteria that algae won't grow so easy. But if your water is nutrient heavy then algae will grow anytime, even after years. I don't feel algae is so much about the light, IMO its more about the water quality, flow, and clean up crew.
 
I agree that water quality should be the most important factor
 
Good advice so far!

I'll just point out that if you're using tap water, there may be nutrients in the tap water that can feed ugly algae, so unfortunately I think that when you turn your light on, you're likely to get some algae growing. I can't say for sure because some areas have very, very good tap water, but I believe most locations do not, and most saltwater hobbyists use an RODI filter to make purified freshwater to use for making saltwater and for topping up evaporated freshwater.

If you don't have an RODI filter, you may be able to purchase water from your LFS, or consider using galloons of distilled water that can be found at any grocery store, pharmacy, or your local Mega-Lo-Mart for a little over a dollar a gallon.

Good luck!
 
TAP water is a big no. Horror stories. Water is the life blood of our little oceans, and tap water rarely works.

You need a RODI setup - best by far, since you can control it, or to start purchasing water.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new