Cycling Question

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a cycling question. Started my cycle last week with Dr Times One and Only and dosed to 2PPM with Dr Tim’s Ammonia Chloride. I also added a bottle of Bio Spira.

I have an ammonia badge in the aquarium and it hasn’t moved off of alert and also tested the ammonia with Red Sea test which it gives me a blue color reading?

I’m curious if the Dr Tim’s and the Bio Spira is throwing off the ammonia readings and the reason for the strange Red Sea results?

Anyone have any ideas?

Also hope this is the right place for this post if not please feel free to move it.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The badge reads only one type of ammonia (I call it the bad one - but both are bad for corals). I would remove the badge as these are mostly used for fish only systems or qt systems to monitor "bad" ammonia. The red sea test is what you want to go by for a tank having inverts. You want 0 ammonia.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The badge reads only one type of ammonia (I call it the bad one - but both are bad for corals). I would remove the badge as these are mostly used for fish only systems or qt systems to monitor "bad" ammonia. The red sea test is what you want to go by for a tank having inverts. You want 0 ammonia.

Why remove it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a cycling question. Started my cycle last week with Dr Times One and Only and dosed to 2PPM with Dr Tim’s Ammonia Chloride. I also added a bottle of Bio Spira.

I have an ammonia badge in the aquarium and it hasn’t moved off of alert and also tested the ammonia with Red Sea test which it gives me a blue color reading?

I’m curious if the Dr Tim’s and the Bio Spira is throwing off the ammonia readings and the reason for the strange Red Sea results?

Anyone have any ideas?

Also hope this is the right place for this post if not please feel free to move it.

I'd just wait a bit longer. :)

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove it since it is not doing anything for the cycle. I just figured not needed. Keeping it does no harm either. It is just not giving him the correct reading is all.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove it since it is not doing anything for the cycle. I just figured not needed. Keeping it does no harm either. It is just not giving him the correct reading is all.

Why is it not correct?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
chuckfu5

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

I picked up the 5 test API test strips. I got a reading of 10ppm of Nitrite and 80 PPM of Nitrate.

Looks like cycling is progressing.

Would you recommend doing a large water change when nitrites reach zero or let the refugium just take care of the Nitrates. I have two big clumps of Chaeto which seems to be doing well under the kessil grow light.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back