Cycling Question

catfan73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so i have a 800L/200G tank setup. Originally i had it in another room. I started cycling dosing "Quantum Water Stabiliser" for a few days, then realised i needed to move the tank to a different room. I emptied the tank and kept about 300L in containers.

Once i moved it into its final spot after a week i started cycling again. The bottle recommends to dose 1 cap full for every 100L daily for 7 days and then let it sit for 7 days. So ive done that, however im picking up 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites and about 3 Nitrates is the highest ive gotten it to.

Is something wrong? Or should i just keep waiting?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of that product, but as long as the rocks and/or sand didn't dry, the bacteria was probably fine, so I wouldn't worry.

OP
OP
C

catfan73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of that product, but as long as the rocks and/or sand didn't dry, the bacteria was probably fine, so I wouldn't worry.
i didnt have the rock in, and i put fresh sand in after i moved it because i bought way too much. just had water in the containers.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didnt have the rock in, and i put fresh sand in after i moved it because i bought way too much. just had water in the containers.
Was there rock on the tank before you moved it? You need something for the bacteria to grow on/in...

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. The bacteria sticks to surfaces, so it may not have transfered over as much as it could have. However, I wouldn't worry. Does the product you use contain ammonia? It looked like it has some ammonia and phosphate from the description, as well as bacteria. If that's the case, I'd just keep adding some until the nitrate gets a little higher (while ammonia and nitrite read 0) just to make sure it's not a testing error.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
C

catfan73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I don't understand this comment...
So i had the tank in a bedroom, was starting the cycle with rock/sand.
Then i moved the tank to the dining room and kept 300 Litres in a tub, the rocks were placed in an empty bath tub. When i set the tank up again i placed the rock back in, with the 300L of water.

OP
OP
C

catfan73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh. The bacteria sticks to surfaces, so it may not have transfered over as much as it could have. However, I wouldn't worry. Does the product you use contain ammonia? It looked like it has some ammonia and phosphate from the description, as well as bacteria. If that's the case, I'd just keep adding some until the nitrate gets a little higher (while ammonia and nitrite read 0) just to make sure it's not a testing error.
y6GPpZ1.png

Ive been testing every other day, the ammonia has never went over 0.5, never had any nitrites and nitrates have never went over 3,0

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it sounds exactly like what the bottle is describing.. it states once the ammonia is at safe levels its ok to slowly add fish. You had no fish to add any nitrate or ammonia so the bottle bac took care of that for you. It sounds like you have your nitrifying bacteria for nitrates established but the nitrifying bacteria that converts ammonia into nitrate is still catching up on the cycle. I'd add fish and get that ammonia cycle finished. The bottle says add prime to safely detoxify any ammonia buildup so IMHO your good to add 1 fish. Until it's finished cycling. Almost there though

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it sounds exactly like what the bottle is describing.. it states once the ammonia is at safe levels its ok to slowly add fish. You had no fish to add any nitrate or ammonia so the bottle bac took care of that for you. It sounds like you have your nitrifying bacteria for nitrates established but the nitrifying bacteria that converts ammonia into nitrate is still catching up on the cycle. I'd add fish and get that ammonia cycle finished. The bottle says add prime to safely detoxify any ammonia buildup so IMHO your good to add 1 fish. Until it's finished cycling. Almost there though

There isn't ammonia or nitrite present, so there wouldn't be a reason to expect those to be catching up on work to lead to more nitrate.

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't ammonia or nitrite present, so there wouldn't be a reason to expect those to be catching up on work to lead to more nitrate.
Op said ammonia hasn't risen over .05 stating that there is a trace of ammonia present. The bottle bac has ammonia and nitrates in it so that's essentially the same as adding fish instead of bottle bac. If nitrates have a reading of 3. That would mean it's cycled because the initial levels that rise in a fresh cycle is ammonia and nitrite.... ammonia has a different bacteria that needs to be established which is what the tank is doing at the moment.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op said ammonia hasn't risen over .05 stating that there is a trace of ammonia present. The bottle bac has ammonia and nitrates in it so that's essentially the same as adding fish instead of bottle bac. If nitrates have a reading of 3. That would mean it's cycled because the initial levels that rise in a fresh cycle is ammonia and nitrite.... ammonia has a different bacteria that needs to be established which is what the tank is doing at the moment.
Why would you assume the bottled bacteria has ammonia in it?? If the bacteria works as it should, even if some company was foolish enough to add ammonia to a bottle of nitrifying bacteria, it would all be converted to nitrate very quickly.

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can laugh all you want but the cycle is the cycle no matter how you slice it. Look at the pic he posted of the bottle description. Says "blend of ammonium, nitrogen, nitrates etc." Idk why ppl say ammonia converts straight to nitrate. I've cycled 10 tanks and 2 ponds that I own personally and never seen ammonia go to nitrate. There's 2 nitrifying bacterias that need to be established to a full cycle. 1. Nitrosomonas Bacteria. The nitrosomonas bacteria are responsible for the first step in the nitrification process, which involves the conversion of ammonia into nitrite. 2. Is nitrobacter which converts nitrite into nitrate. If he has nitrates that indicates the nitrobacter is established which is common with all bottle bac. What he's working on is nitrosomonas which is mainly acquired from fish or inverts which is also what's needed so his bacteria can finalize and drop his ammonia to 0. :) let me know if I'm missing something friend.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Nitrification" does not only mean ammonia to nitrite.
My laughter was at the idea that anyone would think a bottle of nitrifying bacteria would also have a nitrogen source (i.e ammonia, nitrate, etc) in the same container and actually work out well.

And when up and running, a robust nitrifying bacterial colony can easily convert ammonia to nitrate without you ever being able to measure nitrite... it's that fast.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can laugh all you want but the cycle is the cycle no matter how you slice it. Look at the pic he posted of the bottle description. Says "blend of ammonium, nitrogen, nitrates etc." Idk why ppl say ammonia converts straight to nitrate. I've cycled 10 tanks and 2 ponds that I own personally and never seen ammonia go to nitrate. There's 2 nitrifying bacterias that need to be established to a full cycle. 1. Nitrosomonas Bacteria. The nitrosomonas bacteria are responsible for the first step in the nitrification process, which involves the conversion of ammonia into nitrite. 2. Is nitrobacter which converts nitrate into nitrate. If he has nitrates that indicates the nitrobacter is established which is common with all bottle bac. What he's working on is nitrosomonas which is mainly acquired from fish or inverts which is also what's needed so his bacteria can finalize and drop his ammonia to 0. :) let me know if I'm missing something friend.
Lol, where is the nitrite coming from if not from ammonia being converted. I think you've got it backwards... friend.

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you're contradicting yourself, lol.
Is nitrite not a form of nitrogen? If you add nitrogen then you'll have Instantly added nitrites. The bottle bac we buy are used for fish systems so they contain what's necessary. And like you stated it's so fast that dosing for 7 days like the Op stated would indicate a clear nitrobacter cycle. I've personally cycled a few tanks when I broke down some other setups I had. Used bottle bac and had a full cycle in 4 days. Not 1 fish loss so yes its that fast. I'm not stating he's fully cycled what I am stating is that his nitrosomonas aren't established which is why he has a safe ammonia level of .05. Then the bottle bac states to add fish slowly So I'm mainly going off the instructions of the bottle and it's clear as day to me where on the other hand your first post on here you were confused. I'm 100% capable to accept if I'm wrong and learn from it but I won't jump on a post unless I have lots of knowledge about it. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%

Back