90reefernyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I am getting ready to cycle a new tank.
I have an existing tank that has been running for about 8 months and I am wondering ( I think its been asked before) is it a good idea to take my water change water from existing tank and add to new tank when I start to fill? Will this help with the cycling?
thank you

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria lives on surfaces, and has small amounts in water. From your existing tank I would definitely add rock or media bags. I’ve cycled tanks before by putting extra media bags in a tank and adding it to a new tank, however those were freshwater. Still if you can take or add rock/sand/media/old filter you will get much more bacteria.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I am getting ready to cycle a new tank.
I have an existing tank that has been running for about 8 months and I am wondering ( I think its been asked before) is it a good idea to take my water change water from existing tank and add to new tank when I start to fill? Will this help with the cycling?
thank you
Probably won’t help much in terms of bringing nitrification capacity to the new aquarium, but will definitely be adding bacteria, diatoms, dinoflagellates, cyanobacteria and algae.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back