Cycling sump prior to display

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then for the grandest cycling test in reefing, never done on seneye not ever: the elusive unassisted marine cycle.

Ive only seen 2 in my time and they both passed light api load testing with liquid ammonia after a few months ramp up from mother nature, the truly free cycle. no bottle bac, no imported bac, no feed. aerial contamination/water prep contamination setups. (when we prep reef water it's not boiled, cycling bac are already in it, don't go to extra steps to sterilize the make water just do it normally)

set up 2 new paint bucket reefs with all dry rocks, affix circulation and heating, make sure nothing wet from a reef imports cheat bacteria we want to see how the environment handles things fully unassisted.

take bucket 1 at month 2 of standard running in a garage or home, not sealed, leave the lid off and topoff reasonably so that environmental bacteria get in like they do in a home setting, and dose it with the pre calculated # of drops of ammonia to mathematically get it to 1 ppm / see if seneye gets close to indicating that rise as well.

see how much it can move down over nite

let the other bucket get out to month 4, do it just the same, post those results. Nobody has done that, we have to guess what will happen and I dont care to see any of it done via non digital tests, only that calibrated golden seneye.

we want to know the boundaries of reef tank cycling, independent from what bottle bac salesmen have told us. you could provide that; this is article gold.

try and brainstorm other ways to measure the things reefers do with cycles, put that meter to use you can tell your actual display doesn't need any ammonia tracking/they're for making proofs.

any seneye owner is sitting on reef article gold, literally.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%

Back