Cycling tank

jpscremo0620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so im relatively new to the hobby. I have set up a 36l nano tank with some live rock. I know ussually the die off on the rock is enough to start the cycle. Problem is 1. There doesnt seem to be alot of life on the rock 2. The rock was even out of the water 20min. So im leaning towards the cocktail shrimp method as a ammonia source. Question is: MUST it be shrimp or can i use any piece of meat as ammonia source. Reason for question is i live in a rural area and the drive is about 1hr to nearest shop. Far way to go for 1 shrimp lol. I will if i havr to just checking if normal meat might work

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HIGHLY recommend getting some ammonium chloride from Dr tims or algaebarn or brightwell. It is measurable and promotes only nitrifiers which speeds up the cycle and allows you to avoid letting rotting meat sit in your tank.

However, if you do not want to do that method, the next best choice is to just use fish pellets or flakes.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe shrimp is preferable because it breaks down quickly. Perhaps a piece of fish would work better than say red meat in this regard.

OP
OP
J

jpscremo0620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tnx dor the swift replies :) Dr tims nor pure ammonia is available in my country for over the counter purchases. Using flakes how much must i add daily? I have been adding straight every night for the last 4 days havent seen any ammonia. Is this normal?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tnx dor the swift replies :) Dr tims nor pure ammonia is available in my country for over the counter purchases. Using flakes how much must i add daily? I have been adding straight every night for the last 4 days havent seen any ammonia. Is this normal?

Just a small amount each. Try not to let your ammonia go way over 3ppm or so. Its best do do small amounts of ammonia at a time since the bacteria that produces nitrate from nitrite is very slow growing and a big build up of nitrate can slow down your removal of ammonia. Small amounts of waste being broken down makes it easier for the bacteria to handle it at first. Just get the ammonia up a little, wait till nitrate and nitrite are gone after adding some bacteria, and then you are good to go!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post pics of your rock. any growths adhered to the rock means its already fully cycled. moving live rocks tank to tank wont cause dieoff, and the bac wont die they just transfer.

your description sounds like skip cycle rock, post pics. true live rock skip cycle has: pigments, life forms, some attachments waving in the water that dry rocks dont have. they may have pods crawling in them

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two clues gave your type of cycle away: 1. comes from water prior, was only out 20 mins. that doesnt kill bacteria, I make videos of me draining my whole reef for 33 mins/current record. corals included. anything coming from water was likely pre cycled...wet bagged sand is a common example

stating that there's not much growth/ some growth, any, + time underwater means you're using skip cycle live rock which is one way they set up macna reef conventions to all start on time, and nobody misses out due to a stalled cycle.

So, you are likely already cycled, pics will be final proof, and can start reefing. pretty neat.

that thread shows how and why you are using skip cycle rocks most likely.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 75.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back