Cycling with Dr Tim’s

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's right above, you need the time interval, ten days or better before you are cycled, your test readings do not matter currently at all in the process. No matter what you adjust up or down or not adjust, when enough time under water has passed, all you do is change the water out and begin lightly. Couple starter corals and clean up crew, your fish need to complete quarantine before use anyway and this is still more maturation time.

A specific way to cycle your tank based on current details is to just let it circulate as is, dose another few drops of ammonia in a week, and wait another ten days from today to be safe, +10 more days underwater then change it all out and it's done.

Testing or not testing doesn't alter required submersion time, it merely tracks expected peaks and troughs.

The reason some people choose to test and be exacting is to speed up the process. If you've got twenty days, any reef will cycle using the boosts you have. Your bottle bac isn't failed or a bad batch, just do the twenty day trick above

OP
OP
Ghost_Rebel5

Ghost_Rebel5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhhh okay thank you so much for your help this is the answer I have been searching for [emoji120]

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Every tank is going to be different. I also think every bottle of bacteria is going to vary batch to batch and under certain conditions. Took my Nuvo 10g 22 days to cycle and I used 2 different kinds of bacteria thinking it would be faster than the last tank.

Just too many different variables to say when a tank will be cycled, it’s done when it’s done lol

OP
OP
Ghost_Rebel5

Ghost_Rebel5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
afc61fdae3440b48757e3d41910c8daa.jpg
this is my current results ( looks like my ammonia is at 1ppm and nitrites at 0.5ppm

OP
OP
Ghost_Rebel5

Ghost_Rebel5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So based on the article, should I just Not do testing and dose ammonia in about a week and then wait for another week before I add fish?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ghost_Rebel5

Ghost_Rebel5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also should the ammonia be dosed to like 2ppm or 1ppm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ghost_Rebel5

Ghost_Rebel5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I am just very confused by Cycling as when I kept freshwater, I just stole gravel and used filter floss from my grandpa tank, add fish food and waited for a month before adding fish. This is my first time using bottled ammonia and bacteria

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to add or test for anything, just wait to add close to 20-30 total days underwater, change water, and begin with light load. Those results above show your levels are correct, now we wait. It's true some bottle bac strains work faster than others to produce nitrate in the first few days, but that's from bacteria dosed into the water floating around.

We want to wait till they move to surfaces, this takes about twenty days (To be safe, lil extra wait vs the ten days above) one small dose of ammonia in a few more days, wait 20-30 total, it'll work.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 45.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back