Cycling with Dr.Tims

countyblue66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in the process of starting my first saltwater tank. Have cycled many freshwater tanks over the years without issue only using ammonia and generally taking around six weeks for all parameters to be correct. The tank is all set up with RODI water, filtration, wavemaker and heater. My LFS advised to use bottled bac to cycle tank so I chose Dr.Tims one and only saltwater with Dr.Tims ammonia. Followed the instructions and I am now currently on day 11. Have tested as per instructions ie day two, day 4 , day 5,day 7, day 8 and the results were exactly the same ph 8.00, ammonia 2.00 and nitrites 0. Clearly not yet added any fish and have continued to test. Day 9 & 10 the results have not changed but today(day 11) the ammonia has rocketed to 8.00. Equally concerned that the nitrites dont appear to have moved. Something doesnt appear right or am I over thinking things and the ammonia will start to drop. Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I have spent months researching and want to ensure that everything is correct before I start stocking the tank.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture of the test kit results? I have seen lots of threads with weird experiences cycling with Dr. Tims that I have stopped recommending it. Maybe throw in a bottle of biospira or fritz (turbo or zyme 9).

OP
OP
C

countyblue66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture of the test kit results? I have seen lots of threads with weird experiences cycling with Dr. Tims that I have stopped recommending it. Maybe throw in a bottle of biospira or fritz (turbo or zyme 9).
Thanks for your response. If throwing in a different bottle of bacteria would you add a source of ammonia!! How often would you test your parameters...

Attachments

• IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 12

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response. If throwing in a different bottle of bacteria would you add a source of ammonia!! How often would you test your parameters...
it looks like you already have plenty of ammonia, no need to add more.

To the extent it helps, my system took 6 weeks to cycle fully with Dr. Tims and bottled bacteria. I would highly recommend you add a bit of quality live rock to seed with mature bacteria. Tampa bay saltwater is great, check out their treasure chests. You could also find a local hobbyist with a clean, mature system willing to part with a bit of live rock for cheaper.

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely don’t add more ammonia. Is there anything in there that would cause an ammonia spike? Maybe live rock with some gunk (or a crab etc) on it that is rotting?

OP
OP
C

countyblue66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely don’t add more ammonia. Is there anything in there that would cause an ammonia spike? Maybe live rock with some gunk (or a crab etc) on it that is rotting?
Thanks for you reply. There is no live rock in the tank. All very confusing. Would another bottle of a different bac help - Fritz perhaps!!

OP
OP
C

countyblue66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To the extent it helps, my system took 6 weeks to cycle fully with Dr. Tims and bottled bacteria. I would highly recommend you add a bit of quality live rock to seed with mature bacteria. Tampa bay saltwater is great, check out their treasure chests. You could also find a local hobbyist with a clean, mature system willing to part with a bit of live rock for ch

OP
OP
C

countyblue66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To the extent it helps, my system took 6 weeks to cycle fully with Dr. Tims and bottled bacteria. I would highly recommend you add a bit of quality live rock to seed with mature bacteria. Tampa bay saltwater is great, check out their treasure chests. You could also find a local hobbyist with a clean, mature system willing to part with a bit of live rock for cheaper.
Im based in England so Tampa a bit far to travel!! Would adding another bottle of bac maybe Fritz help or should I just sit things out and be patient...

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more bacteria can't hurt, and patience of course is a given if you want to be successful with this hobby.

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for you reply. There is no live rock in the tank. All very confusing. Would another bottle of a different bac help - Fritz perhaps!!
And you haven’t kept dosing ammonia beyond the 2ppm total recommended, correct?
Fritz wouldn’t hurt but with 8ppm, that tank will never cycle (or take months). Do a 75% water change to reduce it down to 2ppm, then dose Fritz turbostart. But no ammonia!

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz turbo start and intant ocean bio-spira both work very well
Dr.Tims works also, but not as quickly
There's a detailed testing thread here:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't bother adding more ammonia in. I usually just wait a week to test. If you want to help speed things up, raising the temp to 81F (27C) and slightly lowering the salinity should do that.

OP
OP
C

countyblue66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you haven’t kept dosing ammonia beyond the 2ppm total recommended, correct?
Fritz wouldn’t hurt but with 8ppm, that tank will never cycle (or take months). Do a 75% water change to reduce it down to 2ppm, then dose Fritz turbostart. But no ammonia!
Only dosed ammonia as recommended then as previously mentioned the ammonia has sky rocketed...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back