Cycling with dry rock - Newbie

OneArseneWenger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

Started up my RedSea Max nano last Tuesday . Cycling with dry rock and dry sand as per my LFS. Been dosing seachem stability for about a week as stated on the bottle. I just wanted to find out at what point will I see signs on my rock that indeed the cycle is taking its course ?

attached is my readings after a week of cycling (ammonia& nitrite both at 0)I do notice some orange spots on the rock and sand. Not sure if that’s from uneaten pellets from ghost feeding or diatoms

any input will be highly appreciated

7228D227-85E5-49D4-BDF4-F07C0CDB05DC.jpeg

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...that is one heck of a typo in the title.

The orange spots are most likely some sortof biofilm (could be diatoms, could not be diatoms). If took my tank about a month before the uglies started growing on the rock. Consider cucling the tank with the lights off, so that the bacteria can cycle without having to compete with photosynthetic algaes for space.

OP
OP
O

OneArseneWenger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ih
...that is one heck of a typo in the title.

The orange spots are most likely some sortof biofilm (could be diatoms, could not be diatoms). If took my tank about a month before the uglies started growing on the rock. Consider cucling the tank with the lights off, so that the bacteria can cycle without having to compete with photosynthetic algaes for space.
Oh no! I did not realize the typo. Dam how do I change it

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally recommend something other than just stability. Like Dr. Tim's one and only, Brightwell Microbacter Start XLM, or Fritzyme Turbo Start 900.
Just choose one to use, and don't use any other bacterial supplements until the cycle is complete.
Just my two cents.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphate is high maybe due to the fact that you’re using dry rocks. Have you cured the rocks before adding to the tank? I made that mistake and still fighting po4 now lol

OP
OP
O

OneArseneWenger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally recommend something other than just stability. Like Dr. Tim's one and only, Brightwell Microbacter Start XLM, or Fritzyme Turbo Start 900.
Just choose one to use, and don't use any other bacterial supplements until the cycle is complete.
Just my two cents.
Unfortunately down here in South Africa . Stability and Red seas mature kit is all I have to work with it. Thanks though for your input

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im cycling one right now with dry. Im just making sure im adding liquid bacteria occasionally and letting tank take its course

Roachbeef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly though I think you need to add dr. Smith bacteria not just stability

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back