Cycling

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using a water conditioner, is there any need for RO water? I tested ammonia nitrite and nitrate side by side (tap and RO) and the results were the same.

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using a water conditioner, is there any need for RO water? I tested ammonia nitrite and nitrate side by side (tap and RO) and the results were the same.

There are some things that can be in tap water we don't test for that you don't want in a marine aquarium. I suppose it all depends on the quality of your tap water.
Testing for Total Dissolved Solids with a TDS meter might show you the difference. My tap water reads 175 on a TDS meter in the winter, 125 in the summer.
I don't know what's in there and I can't run a test for it, so I use RO/DI water and just don't take the chance.

When I had my BioCube 29 I would buy 5 gal of water each week from my LFS. He used Kent Marine salt.
Now that my tank is more like 120 gal total volume I've decided to invest in RO/DI filtration with a salt mixing station.

I've got a lot of money in fish and corals, some may out live me. I want to take good care of them.

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the City Water Quality report TDS goes between 390-810 where I'm at. How do you test for TDS?

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the City Water Quality report TDS goes between 390-810 where I'm at. How do you test for TDS?
A TDS meter.

If you are going to keep corals RODI water is almost a must.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using distilled water bought from the store and mixing it with Red Sea coral pro

Almost forgot, I used distilled water for almost 6 months with zero issues. Sorry it's so late, we were busy. [emoji6][emoji1611][emoji106]

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back