Cycling

Mil26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm on day 3 on fishless cycling and just did a test.

Ammonia: 8.0 ppm
Nitrite: 5.0 ppm
Ph: 78-8 ppm (low and idk y)
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Salinity:35ppt

I am cycling with dry rock and live sand tank is cloudy which I think is bacteria bloom not sure.

My question is do I do anything? Or just be patient and wait?

Dosed: Dr.tims ammonium chloride and microbacter start xlm

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am cycling with dry rock and live sand tank is cloudy which I think is bacteria bloom not sure.

When dosing ammonia keep in mind that your rocks and sand take up part of your total volume. Don't dose any more ammonia until it comes down.

OP
OP
Mil26

Mil26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing ammonia keep in mind that your rocks and sand take up part of your total volume. Don't dose any more ammonia until it comes down.
Yes I did take account on how much sand and rock that I added and dosed accordingly. Thank you

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salinity:35ppt

Well, seems like despite the high ammonia, nitrite is rising so ammonia oxidation is happening. Are you using API test kits? I am very surprised you are measuring 0 nitrates given the 5ppm nitrite. Nitrite affects the nitrate test, giving false positives.

Are you shaking the test bottles super duper vigorously when using them?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, seems like despite the high ammonia, nitrite is rising so ammonia oxidation is happening. Are you using API test kits? I am very surprised you are measuring 0 nitrates given the 5ppm nitrite. Nitrite affects the nitrate test, giving false positives.

With 0 nitrates
But nitrites. I would be if the ammonia were to start falling . Nitrite and nitrate will increase .

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 0 nitrates
But nitrites. I would be if the ammonia were to start falling . Nitrite and nitrate will increase .
Yes but the way the nitrate test works is it converts some of the nitrate to nitrite, then makes a read off of the converted nitrite.

Therefore if there is already nitrite, even if there is zero nitrate, the nitrate test kit would still register some sort of value. Especially if nitrite is at 5ppm.

OP
OP
Mil26

Mil26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Am I suppose to shake is super vigorously? The instructions just say to shake vigorously. Yes I am using the API test

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I suppose to shake is super vigorously? The instructions just say to shake vigorously. Yes I am using the API test
I feel like it works better if it is super duper vigorous lol. Just coz yeah, the readings seem to be odd.

@Randy Holmes-Farley, do you have any ideas on this? I thought the API nitrate test was a colorimetric test that is also impacted by nitrite? Is there something I am missing here? XD

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Shake well yes but you may be getting false results on your tests. To confirm, take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use API kit and have them test for you and see what results they come up with and for comparison. Nitrate rising is the first sign that your aquarium is starting to cycle properly. During the cycling process, ammonia levels will go up and then suddenly plummet as the nitrite-forming bacteria take hold. Because nitrate-forming bacteria don't even begin to appear until nitrite is present in significant quantities, nitrite levels elevate (as the built-up ammonia is converted), continuing to rise as the continually-produced ammonia is converted to nitrite.
the numbers you see are not the dangerous ones we see in a well established tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley, do you have any ideas on this? I thought the API nitrate test was a colorimetric test that is also impacted by nitrite? Is there something I am missing here? XD

I expect that it does, but I do not know the multiplier involved.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect that it does, but I do not know the multiplier involved.
Thanks. I would imagine 5ppm should result in at least some nitrates measured with the API nitrate test kit if it does though, would you agree?

I mean if 5ppm nitrite can still result in the API nitrate test kit reading 0, interference or not, that would actually be very cool.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add any more ammonia right now. Wait until NO2 starts to drop, then test NO3.
I forget the exact #, but when NO2 gets to or below 0.5 then start testing NO3.
When NH3 is gone, keep testing NO2 until it goes away. Then test NO3 and if it's above 20 or so, do up to a 100% WC
Now add enough ammonia to get up to about 2ppm. If it drops to zero over 24 hours, and you have zero NO2, do another 100%
Wait 24 hours and test all 3. If you still have zero NH3 and NO2 you are good to go.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing good happens fast in saltwater i suggest letting ammonia drop to 1 ppm keep it there when 1 ppm disappear in 24 hours large water change to get nitrates down add fish

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back