Cyphastrea getting sick, don't know what it can be.

IDLoco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have this Cyphastrea Meteor Shower that doesn't look happy and I don't know what it might causing this.

I have tried what I have found online to be the best environment for it. Low light and medium flow.
Before this last movement I had it in the middle of the tank, it starting loosing color there, and because of that I move it to a shaded part, where the light would not hit it directly.

I have it at the back of this rocks.
IMG_6910.png

And this is how it currently looks.

IMG_6921.JPG

My water parameters are these
Alk: 8.1 dKH
Calc: 410 ppm
Mag: 1400
Salinity: 1.026
Phosphate: 0.06
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Salt Used: Tropic Marin Pro

The tank is a 33 gallon cube with a sump and refugium, no skimmer. For lightning I have a AI PrimeHD at 8 inches from the water surface, with the BRS AB+ recommended settings.

I'm dosing ALL-FOR-REEF to keep everything balanced and Red Sea Reef Energy A and B. (and moving to CoralAminos).

What I'm I doing wrong?

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank, water looks to be having a possible bacterial bloom and trying to establish still as its got a cloudy film to it.

Also may have light shocked it by placing it in the center and now it may just die from that stress even if moved to a shaded area.

OP
OP
IDLoco

IDLoco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 1 year old,
The bacterial bloom, started after I finished dosing TM NP Plus, to get out of the 0 nitrates and almost 0 phosfates.

I started using carbon and it mostly got away, but it has been like that for like a 3 weeks, I have done 2, 15% water changes and changed the carbon every time I have changed the water,.

Would it be possible to bring the cyphastrea back to life? with medications or something?

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen them come back from just a speck, I would keep it in low light and see what happens.

OP
OP
IDLoco

IDLoco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks,
I will do that, lets keep it in low light and hope it gets better.

Would something like Koral Recover help? or in this case it would not be of any help?

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would stop dosing. Cyphastrea are bomb proof. By the clarity of your water something is major league off there

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew this one from zero polyps. Was literally an orange smear on a chunk of epoxy.

image.jpg

OP
OP
IDLoco

IDLoco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thank you for your info guys/gals, I will leave it be, and wait for it to heal.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back