d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

5altkreep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis, sorry to hear about your losses and struggles, but im sure you will bounce back as good as ever. I also wanted to give you kudos. I spent a lot of time going back and reading your build threads. Not only are your builds amazing, but your photography skills are amazing as well. Also very impressive (to me at least) was the fact that here and on RC you fimd the time to respond to every comment, and answer all questions ( sometimes many times)
Kudos to you sir, keep the pics coming, and best of luck going forward!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis best to reset. Sometimes tanks don't go the way we plan. All the planning in the world will be trumped by nature.
True! Dang nature. lol

Dennis, sorry to hear about your losses and struggles, but im sure you will bounce back as good as ever. I also wanted to give you kudos. I spent a lot of time going back and reading your build threads. Not only are your builds amazing, but your photography skills are amazing as well. Also very impressive (to me at least) was the fact that here and on RC you fimd the time to respond to every comment, and answer all questions ( sometimes many times)
Kudos to you sir, keep the pics coming, and best of luck going forward!
Thanks! :)

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the current state of my tank and surrounding area. lol
Little cube holding my coral with one of my Radions suspended by bungee cords.
Towels everywhere. Real high class.

i-tK8W56W.jpg

Temporary "scape" while I wait on Part II of my TBS order.
I forgot what it was like to have white sand!

i-3pp83sK.jpg

And a few pics of the life on the rock...

i-GwStT9s.jpg

i-2sjcXf2.jpg

i-2m7H7Zr.jpg

i-N44ShRH.jpg

i-v7mnJSK.jpg

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when running KZ sponge power, i was able to get those sponges to grow pretty nice, just a thought.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when running KZ sponge power, i was able to get those sponges to grow pretty nice, just a thought.
Yep, i have it and already dosed it. ;)
I've found that most of those sponges and tunicates tend not to like tons of light, so it kinda depends where they end up in the tank.

olaggie01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New rock looks great Dennis. Sorry to hear about Triton and the tear down. My fuge crashed around the same time as yours, but it was restarted and has been thriving since. I've also added Iodine to the fuge and it seems to help the cheato and gorgonians. I had a bit of nasty algae that I treated with Chemiclean, but otherwise my tank has been pretty clean (of course I type this as I'm 5000 miles away from the tank for a week so who knows what I'll come home too).

Good luck, we are all counting on you. :)

Urbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much bleach did you use? Once you were done did you empty bleach water then fill again and rinse? I may do this since I'm resetting up old tank just to ensure no old algae come back lol. Tanks has been sitting for 2 yrs or better.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much bleach did you use? Once you were done did you empty bleach water then fill again and rinse? I may do this since I'm resetting up old tank just to ensure no old algae come back lol. Tanks has been sitting for 2 yrs or better.
I dunno. haha
I poured maybe a cup worth in there. It was enough that I could smell it when I walked into the room.
Even without the bleach, I've heard dinos hate fresh water.
Once it was done I completely emptied the tank and sump. The sump needed some cleaning so I removed it and hosed/scrubbed it down.
Wasn't worried about residual bleach. It's basically just ammonia and would dissipate.

For your tanks, you're fine. Just mix up some vinegar/water in a spray bottle and give them a real good scrubbing and hose them out.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

High class? Maybe not. But be in the hobby long enough and you'll be there at some point! I've had setups like this for months before!

Urbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno. haha
I poured maybe a cup worth in there. It was enough that I could smell it when I walked into the room.
Even without the bleach, I've heard dinos hate fresh water.
Once it was done I completely emptied the tank and sump. The sump needed some cleaning so I removed it and hosed/scrubbed it down.
Wasn't worried about residual bleach. It's basically just ammonia and would dissipate.

For your tanks, you're fine. Just mix up some vinegar/water in a spray bottle and give them a real good scrubbing and hose them out.

Good to hear you say that because that is exactly what I did. Saw your post got me to thinking I maybe didn't do enough. Thanks

As everyone else has said previously I'm feeling for ya. I'm still kicking around the Triton method idea but you have me giving it more thought before I start.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He Dennis,
You going to go with life reef for the carx again, or you going to try something different?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back