Daily ,weekly or monthly water changes

56longroof

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2023
Messages
3,110
Reaction score
6,420
Location
Durham Missouri USA
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since I added a Donovan nitrate destroyer my nitrates consistently run around 10 ppm. I stopped doing weekly water changes and now am only doing 1 or 2 a month just to replenish trace elements. Would a daily 1-2% water change be more effective at keeping things in order?
 
I try to do wc every 2 weeks. I don’t base them on nitrates though. My tank has settled between 7-10 for now but also a light fish load. I do them to replenish trace when I don’t dose them and find tanks almost always look better after a wc. Daily can be good to replace trace if heavy consumption but need the right set up to make it work
 
I did a water change (or attempted to) every 1-2 weeks
 
i'd probably average out as monthly but the decision to change water earlier can also be a result of the tank looking a little frumpy or even just having the extra time to do it.
 
Water change only when nutrients are increasing.
The only nutrient that has been increasing is phosphate. Im able to control it with gfo. Im more interested in keeping trace elements up.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new