Damsel Death

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right forum but I'm also not sure where else to post it. Last week I picked up two Springeri Damsels for my new office tank and my wife's classroom tank. My wife's fish is doing great, swimming, eating and all that. My fish died after just a few days and when I found it, it had this hole in its side.
20211108_080540.jpg

As far as I know there is nothing living in the tank that could have killed it or started eating the body. The tank was started with completely dry white rock, I have not added any clean-up crew, and it's only about a month old.

Details:
The fish was probably very stressed. I did not make it back from my trip in time so the fish had to spend the night in a breeder box in my tank at home with a frogspawn coral I had also purchased. The next morning I moved it to my office aquarium and it swam laps around the tank for half a day. Then it found a calm spot in the rocks and parked there. It never ate anything (dying 3-4 days after addition) and it appeared to be breathing heavy on its last day.

Although the tank is about a month in now I have specifically not cycled it. Instead, I have added macros and corals to consume ammonia and have made adding fish a low priority (this was the first fish).

Here's what parameters and equipment I have:
40 Gallon AIO NUVO Fusion
Standard Circulation plus an IceCap gyre pump (3k I think)
Dosing very little All For Reef (I think it was 1.5 ml a day split to 3 doses)

Temp: 77-78
pH: 8.0
NH3: 0.2 (API) and Seachem alert badge is reading Safe after having read Alert a couple weeks ago
NO2: 0.0
NO3: Haven't tested because I've never even had Nitrites.
KH: 9.5
Cal: 434

So I'm leaning towards stress weakening it and/or maybe an issue with having been in that breeder box for the first night. Can anyone think of anything else I should consider?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This looks like a carcass that has begun to decay. My guess is either aggression which resulted in death or weak fish

OP
OP
unchaotic

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a carcass that has begun to decay. My guess is either aggression which resulted in death or weak fish
Only other critters in the tank are coral and maybe a couple amphipods.

Would it be expected for it to decay like that after being alive approximately 36 hours earlier? I'm not doubting ... just curious.

Back