Damsel eggs??

MissouriReefer31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was about to do some more maintenance and remove algae it’s been a issue for sometime, I leave that corner like that for them since they hide in it. I noticed my yellow tailed damsel was hovering around these white dots. Chases any other fish from coming to that corner even the larger tomatoes and dominos.

taking a guess that they are eggs??
Sorry my camera sucks and the algae is getting pulled out been fighting it for a while now.

8801E4E5-BB52-4C46-82F2-7E438F380EBD.jpeg BEB48B74-9B7D-4B7D-8F03-BB9C1826D12B.jpeg

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was about to do some more maintenance and remove algae it’s been a issue for sometime, I leave that corner like that for them since they hide in it. I noticed my yellow tailed damsel was hovering around these white dots. Chases any other fish from coming to that corner even the larger tomatoes and dominos.

taking a guess that they are eggs??
Sorry my camera sucks and the algae is getting pulled out been fighting it for a while now.

8801E4E5-BB52-4C46-82F2-7E438F380EBD.jpeg BEB48B74-9B7D-4B7D-8F03-BB9C1826D12B.jpeg
Unlike most fish that are pelagic spawners (spawn in open water), damselfish lay sessile eggs (meaning eggs that are attached to a surface). This makes it easy to find and remove them. (ie. they look like Damsel eggs (not sure if they are fertile)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are damsel eggs. Damsels lay eggs about every two weeks or so if they are healthy and eating correctly. like yours are.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are a little of a pain to raise and very time consuming. :cool:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BIOTA raises their Sapphires and another one for which I forget the name on a regular basis. In fact I have 7 of the Sapphires and as noted above healthy they spawn non stop. Sapphires dig/burrow and lay their eggs under the top base of the burrow or cave to prevent predators. This area becomes a hot spot because the male (assuming it is anyway) guards it 24x7 regardless of fish size that passes by.

Mine chases away a larger scopas tang, my copperband butterfly, and even my gold lined rabbit fish which is poisonous to some degree I guess like other rabbitfish. Beautiful fish. All damsels are for the most part but when spawning they are a bit more aggressive. And to pretend I know what I'm talking about, and I really don't, but the one damsel that is auto pilot mode for captive raised is the spiny chromis, or acanthochromis polyacanthus (damselfish) from the western pacific.

That one will raise its young :) Or so I've read along with some other horror stories. Pretty when young but not so much as they get older.

Never the less if you have spawning damsels great job! Free food! Kidding. No, not really :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about a tenth, but smaller than clowns.
These fireclowns spawn constantly, here are their eggs.

Here is my watchman with her eggs which are much larger.

These clown gobies have tiny babies. Her eggs are above her.

Here is a new born clown gobi.

This is one a little different, maybe before that last picture.

OP
OP
MissouriReefer31

MissouriReefer31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wow thats amazing and alot of eggs. i guess i am doing something right since they are spawning maybe after more research i may try at raising a batch very hard but worth the try.

OP
OP
MissouriReefer31

MissouriReefer31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you ever raised any of the watchman fry??

OP
OP
MissouriReefer31

MissouriReefer31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BIOTA raises their Sapphires and another one for which I forget the name on a regular basis. In fact I have 7 of the Sapphires and as noted above healthy they spawn non stop. Sapphires dig/burrow and lay their eggs under the top base of the burrow or cave to prevent predators. This area becomes a hot spot because the male (assuming it is anyway) guards it 24x7 regardless of fish size that passes by.

Mine chases away a larger scopas tang, my copperband butterfly, and even my gold lined rabbit fish which is poisonous to some degree I guess like other rabbitfish. Beautiful fish. All damsels are for the most part but when spawning they are a bit more aggressive. And to pretend I know what I'm talking about, and I really don't, but the one damsel that is auto pilot mode for captive raised is the spiny chromis, or acanthochromis polyacanthus (damselfish) from the western pacific.

That one will raise its young :) Or so I've read along with some other horror stories. Pretty when young but not so much as they get older.

Never the less if you have spawning damsels great job! Free food! Kidding. No, not really :)
lol yup food is what they will be.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Rare to see damsels in spawning action in home tank. Unfortunately, may get eaten but now you know you have a fertile pair and can prepare for next clutch. I favor flower pots for easy transfer

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are doing something right. :)

All healthy fish produce eggs constantly. If you are keeping them correctly they should spawn every couple of weeks. In the sea female fish are always pregnant.
You can raise them but you need to prepare in advance with rotifers and a spare tank.

I haven't raised any in years but it takes a lot of time and patience.

I have never raised watchman fry but their eggs are constant.

If you have pairs of almost any fish and they don't spawn, they are not very healthy.

There are always baby fish in my tank, but if you don't purposely try to raise them, they won't grow there unless they are something like Bangai cardinals as they are big and sometimes, rarely you can find some if you have a sump.

OP
OP
MissouriReefer31

MissouriReefer31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rare to see damsels in spawning action in home tank. Unfortunately, may get eaten but now you know you have a fertile pair and can prepare for next clutch. I favor flower pots for
flower pots for easy transfer
Well I just checked my tank and my domino is white and looked it up says its social signal to breed. One of my peppermint shrimp has eggs. so I guess I got something right. if the dominos spawn that would be really cool! still trying to get rid of this algae lol or maybe i wont mess with it since the fish seem to be doing great i dont wanna change something lol

OP
OP
MissouriReefer31

MissouriReefer31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are doing something right. :)

All healthy fish produce eggs constantly. If you are keeping them correctly they should spawn every couple of weeks. In the sea female fish are always pregnant.
You can raise them but you need to prepare in advance with rotifers and a spare tank.

I haven't raised any in years but it takes a lot of time and patience.

I have never raised watchman fry but their eggs are constant.

If you have pairs of almost any fish and they don't spawn, they are not very healthy.

There are always baby fish in my tank, but if you don't purposely try to raise them, they won't grow there unless they are something like Bangai cardinals as they are big and sometimes, rarely you can find some if you have a sump.
Well I just checked my tank and my domino is white and looked it up says its social signal to breed. One of my peppermint shrimp has eggs. so I guess I got something right. if the dominos spawn that would be really cool! still trying to get rid of this algae lol or maybe i wont mess with it since the fish seem to be doing great i dont wanna change something

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might blow some minds, but damsels are clowns and clowns are damsels. ...the eggs are nearly the same and can be raised the same way... only clowns can sell for more money and make the process more worthwhile. I keep YT Blue damsels in nearly every tank and they always pair up and lay eggs somewhere.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might blow some minds, but damsels are clowns and clowns are damsels. ...the eggs are nearly the same and can be raised the same way... only clowns can sell for more money and make the process more worthwhile. I keep YT Blue damsels in nearly every tank and they always pair up and lay eggs somewhere.

Damsels are really nice fish and get a bad reputation from our earlier years. When properly kept with a supportive environment they are amazing. Fast. Always out. A bit feisty. Color. Movement. Like you all my displays will have some.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back