Domino damsel not doing well

All-in Salt Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have approx 4-5" domino damsel that I've had for past few months. He was doing fine until recently but seems to be breathing faster and not eating. Looks like his lips are puckering pretty fast. Otherwise he looks fine and still chases other fish once and a while. All of the other fish are fine...active, eating. Parameters are good except for high nitrates (40-50) that I've been trying to get down since we moved the tank in Jan. Previous owner had this fish for about 4 years. Could it be the nitrates? Any other thoughts or suggestions on what I can do? Thanks!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have approx 4-5" domino damsel that I've had for past few months. He was doing fine until recently but seems to be breathing faster and not eating. Looks like his lips are puckering pretty fast. Otherwise he looks fine and still chases other fish once and a while. All of the other fish are fine...active, eating. Parameters are good except for high nitrates (40-50) that I've been trying to get down since we moved the tank in Jan. Previous owner had this fish for about 4 years. Could it be the nitrates? Any other thoughts or suggestions on what I can do? Thanks!
Video will help under white light and all parameters posted too. What size tank, and tank mates is also good info to add. @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Have approx 4-5" domino damsel that I've had for past few months. He was doing fine until recently but seems to be breathing faster and not eating. Looks like his lips are puckering pretty fast. Otherwise he looks fine and still chases other fish once in a while. All of the other fish are fine...active, eating. Parameters are good except for high nitrates (40-50) that I've been trying to get down since we moved the tank in Jan. Previous owner had this fish for about 4 years. Could it be the nitrates? Any other thoughts or suggestions on what I can do? Thanks!
They should be tolerant of this nitrate level although elevated
Heavy breathing often due to water quality issue or disease such as gill flukes. With flukes you may also see scratching, sudden darting, loss of appetite as examples
I suggest a good water change and see if breathing slows down a little
Please post a you tube video under bright white intensity for assessment

OP
OP
All-in Salt Tank

All-in Salt Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video will help under white light and all parameters posted too. What size tank, and tank mates is also good info to add. @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081
20240314_194413.jpg

Thanks! Here's some more info:

100 Gallon tank with:
- Large blue hippo tang
- Med/large yellow tang
- Med/large domino damsel
- Med/large dogface puffer
- Med fairytale wrasse
- Med coral beauty
- Sm/Med striped damsel
- Urchins X 2 (one is a pencil urchin) and a turbo snail

Parameters:

Temp: 79
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: approx 40-50 (2 different test kits so hard to tell exactly but in this range).
SG: 1:022

I'll try to get a video but it's hard because it's a black-back tank and he mostly stays against the back wall near an uptake tube from Fluval FX6 uptake pipe/tube. He chases other fish once and a while but pretty much goes back to that spot.

Have been doing weekly water changes since I got the tank mid-January to get the nitrates down. This is first 2-week interval. Doing a water change on Thursday of this week.

To be honest, he may have been like this for a while as I don't pay much attention to him at feeding times. My puffer wasn't eating much for the first week after the move so I was pretty fixated on him. All of the other fish are super active and eat all over the tank, so I kind of lost track of the damsel. I think he used to come out and swim around the tank more, but he's pretty much been hanging out in the same spot for weeks.

Could he be intimidated by the blue hippo tang? He seems to stay clear of her every time she's racing around the tank at meal time. She eats like a machine!

I'll try to get a video later today. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240314_194413.jpg
    20240314_194413.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 19

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
20240314_194413.jpg

Thanks! Here's some more info:

100 Gallon tank with:
- Large blue hippo tang
- Med/large yellow tang
- Med/large domino damsel
- Med/large dogface puffer
- Med fairytale wrasse
- Med coral beauty
- Sm/Med striped damsel
- Urchins X 2 (one is a pencil urchin) and a turbo snail

Parameters:

Temp: 79
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: approx 40-50 (2 different test kits so hard to tell exactly but in this range).
SG: 1:022

I'll try to get a video but it's hard because it's a black-back tank and he mostly stays against the back wall near an uptake tube from Fluval FX6 uptake pipe/tube. He chases other fish once and a while but pretty much goes back to that spot.

Have been doing weekly water changes since I got the tank mid-January to get the nitrates down. This is first 2-week interval. Doing a water change on Thursday of this week.

To be honest, he may have been like this for a while as I don't pay much attention to him at feeding times. My puffer wasn't eating much for the first week after the move so I was pretty fixated on him. All of the other fish are super active and eat all over the tank, so I kind of lost track of the damsel. I think he used to come out and swim around the tank more, but he's pretty much been hanging out in the same spot for weeks.

Could he be intimidated by the blue hippo tang? He seems to stay clear of her every time she's racing around the tank at meal time. She eats like a machine!

I'll try to get a video later today. Thanks!
A few things I see. This tank is new/newer and may not be cycled and you have quite a few fish in this tank and As suspected, this tank does not have an overflow and instead external filters being a canister which is a mechanical filter. You want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The canister will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge and foam inserts.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished with use of carbon and GFO as examples
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even the new one at BRS as shown below
An Ammonia spike may have been very possible and often undetectable after the spike event.
The readings suggest with this bioload and newer tank that you are getting false readings and using an API kit which is tricky with readings and you are getting false readings. Disregard the nitrite level as it pertains to freshwater unless super high (above 200)
I Highly suggest taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
I will never trust a $7 badge or $25 master kit to sustain hundreds of dollars in livestock.
Additionally, the salinity is a little low- Bring up to 1.024 gradually.

HOB-R Hang-On-Back Refugium - AquaReady

Skip to the beginning of the images gallery
Details
Beneficial Biological Filtration & Microfauna Sanctuary
  • Hang-On-Back Design Means No Plumbing Required
  • Includes 110 GPH Sicce Pump
  • Convenient Viewing Portal
  • Intelligent Baffle Design
  • Quick and Easy Maintenance

The AquaReady Hang-On-Back Refugium is designed for supporting the growth of macroalgae to improve water quality and provide microfauna as food for aquarium inhabitants. It features a high-quality Sicce return pump, a baffle housing for media inclusion, a large viewing panel for algae monitoring, and an outlet sponge to minimize microbubbles.

How Does This Fit into Your System?
The Refugium is a tank mounted refugium for growing macroalgae, which improves water quality and can provide food to inhabitants in the form of microfauna. The HOB-R works well for aquariums 20 gallons and larger where the length is at least 17" and the glass/rim thickness is no greater than 0.75".

How Can This Help My Aquarium?
A refugium containing macroalgae will help to control nitrates and phosphates by consuming them as the macroalgae grows. Additionally, macroalgae will compete with nuisance algae within the aquarium, and assist your filtration system in keeping your aquarium water clean.
A refugium can also harbor many beneficial invertebrates, which consume uneaten food or detritus. Invertebrates such as copepods and amphipods will thrive in the safety of the refugium. The presence of an active refugium will ensure a constant supply of these important organisms to help support the aquarium’s food chain and break down nuisance organics.
A refugium light is not included and is needed to grow macroalgae. It is recommended that refugium lighting be run on the opposite light schedule to the main aquarium.

The AquaReady Commitment
We know that you and your aquarium depend on effective and easy to use equipment that is built to last. AquaReady is fully committed to the success of your aquarium experience, which is why every AquaReady Hang-On-Back Refugium comes standard with a 1 Year Warranty.

OP
OP
All-in Salt Tank

All-in Salt Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
Thanks for your help and advice. It's definitely not a new tank. Was an established tank for 4+ years that we moved to my TruVue tank in Jan. One FX6 was moved as-is and not touched. The 2nd FX6 was filled with bio-balls and media from previous owner's sump. Running same protein skimmer, 2 wave makers, and large bubble wand for extra O2. I

I was able to get pic and video today.
20240408_171438.jpg

We just noticed the white patch under the domino today. It looks like he scratched against a rock or was maybe bit by the hippo tang? He has always darted a lot after other fish and seems to spook easily so wondering if he scratched himself on a rock?

Here's a video...definitely seems to be breathing fast but is fairly active and moving about the tank...mostly in one area though. He's always pretty much stayed in this corner since the move. The rock layout is similar to what it was before the move.

All other fish in the tank are totally fine at this point.

Thanks!

OP
OP
All-in Salt Tank

All-in Salt Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things I see. This tank is new/newer and may not be cycled and you have quite a few fish in this tank and As suspected, this tank does not have an overflow and instead external filters being a canister which is a mechanical filter. You want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The canister will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge and foam inserts.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished with use of carbon and GFO as examples
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even the new one at BRS as shown below
An Ammonia spike may have been very possible and often undetectable after the spike event.
The readings suggest with this bioload and newer tank that you are getting false readings and using an API kit which is tricky with readings and you are getting false readings. Disregard the nitrite level as it pertains to freshwater unless super high (above 200)
I Highly suggest taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
I will never trust a $7 badge or $25 master kit to sustain hundreds of dollars in livestock.
Additionally, the salinity is a little low- Bring up to 1.024 gradually.

Skip to the beginning of the images gallery
Details
Beneficial Biological Filtration & Microfauna Sanctuary
  • Hang-On-Back Design Means No Plumbing Required
  • Includes 110 GPH Sicce Pump
  • Convenient Viewing Portal
  • Intelligent Baffle Design
  • Quick and Easy Maintenance

The AquaReady Hang-On-Back Refugium is designed for supporting the growth of macroalgae to improve water quality and provide microfauna as food for aquarium inhabitants. It features a high-quality Sicce return pump, a baffle housing for media inclusion, a large viewing panel for algae monitoring, and an outlet sponge to minimize microbubbles.

How Does This Fit into Your System?
The Refugium is a tank mounted refugium for growing macroalgae, which improves water quality and can provide food to inhabitants in the form of microfauna. The HOB-R works well for aquariums 20 gallons and larger where the length is at least 17" and the glass/rim thickness is no greater than 0.75".

How Can This Help My Aquarium?
A refugium containing macroalgae will help to control nitrates and phosphates by consuming them as the macroalgae grows. Additionally, macroalgae will compete with nuisance algae within the aquarium, and assist your filtration system in keeping your aquarium water clean.
A refugium can also harbor many beneficial invertebrates, which consume uneaten food or detritus. Invertebrates such as copepods and amphipods will thrive in the safety of the refugium. The presence of an active refugium will ensure a constant supply of these important organisms to help support the aquarium’s food chain and break down nuisance organics.
A refugium light is not included and is needed to grow macroalgae. It is recommended that refugium lighting be run on the opposite light schedule to the main aquarium.

The AquaReady Commitment
We know that you and your aquarium depend on effective and easy to use equipment that is built to last. AquaReady is fully committed to the success of your aquarium experience, which is why every AquaReady Hang-On-Back Refugium comes standard with a 1 Year Warranty.
Sorry...thought I was replying to you. Please see my pics, video, and comments to LittleFox above. Still trying to figure out how to use this forum! Thanks!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello.
Thanks for your help and advice. It's definitely not a new tank. Was an established tank for 4+ years that we moved to my TruVue tank in Jan. One FX6 was moved as-is and not touched. The 2nd FX6 was filled with bio-balls and media from previous owner's sump. Running same protein skimmer, 2 wave makers, and large bubble wand for extra O2. I

I was able to get pic and video today.
20240408_171438.jpg

We just noticed the white patch under the domino today. It looks like he scratched against a rock or was maybe bit by the hippo tang? He has always darted a lot after other fish and seems to spook easily so wondering if he scratched himself on a rock?

Here's a video...definitely seems to be breathing fast but is fairly active and moving about the tank...mostly in one area though. He's always pretty much stayed in this corner since the move. The rock layout is similar to what it was before the move.

All other fish in the tank are totally fine at this point.

Thanks!
Video does not play but fish in the pic has a notable injury with some raised scales. You will need to identify the aggressor(s) which damsels are my suspect. It should heal on its own without any additional aggression but keep an eye on it for any development of infection/soreness

OP
OP
All-in Salt Tank

All-in Salt Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video does not play but fish in the pic has a notable injury with some raised scales. You will need to identify the aggressor(s) which damsels are my suspect. It should heal on its own without any additional aggression but keep an eye on it for any development of infection/soreness
Thank you. Not sure why video won't play. I can see it in the feed and it plays. I'll upload it again here right from my phone...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you. Not sure why video won't play. I can see it in the feed and it plays. I'll upload it again here right from my phone...

I see audio only. You Tube version works well

OP
OP
All-in Salt Tank

All-in Salt Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he didn't make it through the night. Could he have been stressed from the move and maybe bullied a bit? Could he have been at end of life expectancy? He was over 4 years old.

All of my other fish are fine. I'm keeping a close eye on all of them.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back