GSP help and guidance

tankslayer69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I am new reefer here looking for some guidance. I started a reef tank about 2.5 months ago, its a 75 gallon tank with a fluval 407 filter with two nicrew 50w led lights. My parameters are 1.023 salinity, 79 degree f temp, and no nitrate or amonia (i use api test kit it tells me <5ppm and <0.5ppm amonia) ph ranges from when i measure but it is between 7.8 and 8.0 usually.

my gsp coral wont open, hasnt even partially, and its been a long time. I got two frags online along with a zoa when i first started the tank. I have since added fish and more coral , all of which are doing good and surprisingly getting along well. I thought maybe just a bad batch or maybe online shipment problem, so I said let me try getting from a different place., so I have one week ago picked up another gsp frag from a local coral store, and a hammer corral from the same store. All my corals have opened, even the hammer coral (which is like 70 percent open, should it be more by now? itsa been a week like the gsp). What should i do? im sitting on supposidly the easiest coral which wont open for two months and now the latest one week. I havent tested calcium and alkalinity cause i dont have the kit and i figured they were soft corals.

I have some fish, here they are
stripe damsel
domino damsel
golden damsel
3x clowns
bubbletip anomone
snowflake eel
flame tail blenny
blue knee hermit crab - ((Dardanus guttatus))
10x blue leg hermit crab
Purple Short Spine Pincushion Urchin
firefish

2x duncan coral - all open look nice
3-4 frags of zoa - all open look good
hammer coral - 70 percent open
leather toadstool - opened all its little things
kenia tree - looks ok, thought it would grow faster

i dont understand why the other coral are all good but the hardiest species is struggling. Thanks for any guidance

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP (and most corals) generally enjoy a small amount of nitrate and phosphate in the water, 0 for both is not great for corals. Where do you have the GSP positioned? Can you share photos? How is the flow in the tank, do you have power heads/wave pumps?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back