Dang Lyretail Anthias wont eat!

gurumasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats everything but also likes reef chili from BRS. They are plankton feeders as well so they will eat coral foods if big enough pieces.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't soak food in garlic. Fish shouldn't get any terrestrial food because they can't digest it. But adding some drops of garlic oil in the DT helps to stimulate appetite. Turn your skimmer off for awhile so the garlic doesn't overflow it. And live brine, smell and movement of live foods entices the appetite. Algaebarn.com has live baby brine.

cpvince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm... a chunk of frozen in? this sounds like a good idea. so it doesn't sink to the bottom??

The frozen cubes usually float but only the aggressive fish will pick at it if you drop it in the tank. If you stick the frozen cubes onto the powerhead grates, it'll disperse nicely and all the fish will have a pretty good chance of eating.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't soak food in garlic. Fish shouldn't get any terrestrial food because they can't digest it. But adding some drops of garlic oil in the DT helps to stimulate appetite. Turn your skimmer off for awhile so the garlic doesn't overflow it. And live brine, smell and movement of live foods entices the appetite. Algaebarn.com has live baby brine.
FYI, saltwater fish can handle garlic in food just fine. It can be argued on whether garlic is good or bad for fish, but nothing conclusive has been proven yet.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, saltwater fish can handle garlic in food just fine. It can be argued on whether garlic is good or bad for fish, but nothing conclusive has been proven yet.
Adding garlic oil to the water column is just as effective at stimulating appetite as soaking food in garlic oil. What's more you're not taking a chance of harming the fish if garlic is after all, harmful.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back