Dang Lyretail Anthias wont eat!

Asbury030

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had these 2 fish for 5 days... I have tried frozen brine, pellets, PE calanus, and frozen Mysis. They looked interested in everything... ate it but spit it out. The only thing they ate was one piece of Mysis and then wouldn't go near anything. The Mysis is kinda old but has been in my freezer the whole time. I don't know what else to try. Anybody have any ideas?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make a bottled solution that you add and soak it in. I've always used that, although I've heard you can use fresh garlic or powder. I would tend towards fresh to avoid preservatives and stuff, but don't know how to prepare fresh for soak. Someone else may know the fresh route.

You could probably crush a couple of cloves and get enough juice for a soak, though

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would likely work. Keep an eye on your skimmer as it could either make it go absolutely crazy for a few hours or keep it from making a foam head for a few hours. (I forget which one oils do. I think the latter, though)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three that eat like pigs.. LRS, brine and small Mysis.. i just put small chunks in the tank with the pumps on and the run all over picking what they want out of the water column. I love these guys there very active and there color is crazy.
6502095f2853d2e20f9efdacec8cb6a1.jpg

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago my experience was they love small foods. Like really small.. Then once eating that they will start taking bigger foods. But who am I to talk I can't get my pictillis anthias to eat anything!

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eat anything but especially like LRS Reef Frenzy. I feed, as recommended above, by dispersing it near powerhead.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do u live in S FL? AllPets in Davie sells a huge portion of live brine for $1. I get it all the time and it lasts a while.

cpvince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd, never had an issue with any of the anthias I've acquired. What brand of brine and mysis are you using? I switched over to the Hikari brand because the size of the shrimp are smaller and the solution they're frozen in seems to be cleaner.

cpvince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? You live in south Florida. Should be a ton of LFS with live brine. You close to Sebastian? I'll give you some

Try feeding into a powerhead. Anthias like fast movement to the food when they are first acquired.

Yep, I do this as well. I stick a frozen chunk onto the grates of my powerhead and it'll shoot out and disperse throughout the tank as it defrosts.

FFKiwi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm... a chunk of frozen in? this sounds like a good idea. so it doesn't sink to the bottom??

enveetie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i first got my group they would take in and spit out frozen food. i mixed in live brine shrimp for one feeding and they started to eat everything after learning the other non-live stuff was food also.

feeding into as powerhead sounds like a good idea that might fool them into thinking its live based on movement. but if they're spitting it out still i would try a live/frozen mix.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back