Daniel's 180g Mixed Reef

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
40,641
Reaction score
67,823
Location
Fontana, California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's another build thread I'm trying to start. I'm not so great at these build threads bc I tend to not think about snapping pics in mid project, but I'll definitely do my best. This is the upgrade of my 75 gallon reef (see pic below)

new tank.jpg


to a 180 gallon system. This will be a mixed reef that I expect will be LPS dominate (I'm currently very much into favias and acans, and I want some nice chalices).

This first pic is of the bare tank after being placed in my basement (my wife won't let me keep tanks in the living room any more...something about flooding and mess...I forget...). This was a BEAST to move! here she is with no plumbing or anything. I'll be replacing the stand so that I can get my 30" skimmer underneath.

tank1.jpg
 
Here's an update. Work is still in process, but coming along.

First up is my overflow. The previous owner had a bean animal system, so I'm just doing the same thing.

2 overflow.jpg


Next, here are a couple of pictures of the rock work. It's mostly done except for the rocks that already have corals. I learned from my mistakes with the 120 and added the rock before putting in the water. Result...much better aquascape. :-)

3 Rock work1.jpg
4 Rock work2.jpg


Here is the unfinished stand and the dangling plumbing...still lots to be done.

5 in process.jpg


Here's my monster skimmer. I'm excited about getting this guy hooked up! :-)

6 skimmer.jpg
 
This is moving slow, but I now have my sump, return pump (a quiet one 4000), and circulation pumps set up. My flow is two tunze 6101s with a 7095 controller and a mj 1200 pro. I have another tunze 6101 that I plan to put in there too, but I'm afraid it might be too much...we'll see...right now it's getting a vinegar bath. I'll post a pic soon with all this stuff added.

I ran into a problem with a leaky seal on the skimmer pump...I'm having to check into that and see what can be done...hoping this doesn't get expensive. :-)

I also have a two little fishes reactor setup running GFO bc I already have a phosphate problem...go figure...not sure how that happened since this thing has only cycled and only has some snails in it...
 
Last edited:
Here are a few pics from the stand (the frame is built and under the tank, so we're just doing the skin) and canopy build. :-)

This is the frame for the canopy

canopy1.jpg


This is the shelf for the lights (I'll be using 2 R4 fixtures on the sides and an A4 fixture in the middle from Chester Aquaria).

canopy2.jpg


These last two are different pieces of the stand's skin and doors.

stand1.jpg


stand2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Here is the finished product. First shot is of the finished stand:

7 stand.jpg


Next is the canopy:

8 canopy.jpg


Next are a couple of full tank shots:

10 FTS 3 - 16 -13.jpg


9 FTS 3 - 16 -13.jpg


Lastly, here is my favorite lobo...pic quality is crappy on my phone, so now I have to go get a decent camera. :-D

11 coral.jpg
 
Great progress!
 
Thanks! Here are a few more coral shots.

20130315_181351.jpg

20130315_181402.jpg

20130315_181425.jpg

20130315_181440.jpg

20130315_181459.jpg
 
Thanks! I can't take all the credit, though. I just followed instructions. My 81 year-old grandfather is really the master builder. He did the routing and most of the sawing...and he told me what to do on everything else. He's an amazing carpenter...and stronger than I expect to be at 50. :-D
 
Here are my two clams. I just ordered the one on the right from Pacific East Aquaculture for $99 I recommend you guys jump on the "our pick" sale.

IMAG0058.jpg
 
I haven't updated this thread in a while. Here's a few FTS shots taken today.

FTS1 8-3-13.jpg


FTS2 8-3-13.jpg


FTS3 8-3-13.jpg
 
and here are a few close up shots at some of the inhabitants. :) These all came from the prize pack I won in the Reef Raft USA live sale.

Here is the rainbow brain eating...he's a little puffed up... :)

brain1.jpg


brain2.jpg


Lil Princess zoas

lil princess zoas.jpg


red baron chalice

red baron.jpg

Utter chaos zoas

utter chaos.jpg
 
Here's a few of the other inhabitants that I'm proud of.
This is my PwGt (purple with green tips) BTA. He stays behind the rock work ever since he slit a while back.
PWGTBTA.jpg


This is my rainbow BTA
Rainbow BTA1.jpg


Rainbow BTA2.jpg


This is a really nice sunset monti. :)

sunset monti.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new