Daniel's Reef Savvy 50g Cube - A Recovering Build...

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I've got an order of Fluconazole that is supposed to be arriving today. Looking forward to watching algae DIE!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Yep yep, it definitely works wonders. Leave the skimmer on just put it on low, or make sure whatever is collected drains back into the tank. The oxygen is nice when you're mass killing stuff!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep yep, it definitely works wonders. Leave the skimmer on just put it on low, or make sure whatever is collected drains back into the tank. The oxygen is nice when you're mass killing stuff!
Yeah. I'm planning on pulling the collection cup and just letting it overflow.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Made my dose of Fluconazole last night, so here's a pic to document the beginning of treatment.

20170912_150342.jpg

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quick 1 week update on the Fluconazole treatment. It's WORKING!!

20170919_103354.jpg

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grats!!!

The official threads say only run Fluconazole for like 4-5 days before a water change -- For me, this did NOT kill them off. I ran it 21 days, and that did the trick. You don't need to go all 21 days, but you should definitely give it at least 10 days just to be safe. @CoralNerd also ran Fluconazole for a short time and didn't have success. Running it longer helped him out.

So don't take it offline too quickly. I actually put in an extra pill halfway through the meds, which was like a 1/4 dose for me -- wanted to make sure it was gone.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Grats!!!

The official threads say only run Fluconazole for like 4-5 days before a water change -- For me, this did NOT kill them off. I ran it 21 days, and that did the trick. You don't need to go all 21 days, but you should definitely give it at least 10 days just to be safe. @CoralNerd also ran Fluconazole for a short time and didn't have success. Running it longer helped him out.

So don't take it offline too quickly. I actually put in an extra pill halfway through the meds, which was like a 1/4 dose for me -- wanted to make sure it was gone.
Yeah. I think I read somewhere to leave it in for 14 days, so I'm going to do that, then I'll do a large water change, followed by a week without doing anything, followed by another large water change and another round of Fluconazole (I figure I want to be sure I kill ALL of this crap, and since I have the pills already, meh. Might as well). No ill effects have been noticed at all.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, you won't get any ill effects from this. It will also help with GHA, but GHA takes a bit longer to start clearing up. I'm sure mine will follow suit.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel,

Why the week without? I know typically in the medical world we keep on top of things so that they don't die back, develop resistance then come back stronger. So just curious as I admittedly have not been following the Bryopsis thread (yet, knock on wood).

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel,

Why the week without? I know typically in the medical world we keep on top of things so that they don't die back, develop resistance then come back stronger. So just curious as I admittedly have not been following the Bryopsis thread (yet, knock on wood).

Yeah I definitely wouldn't take that break in the middle. You gotta leave it all in, even if you're doing a second dose that break will not help in any capacity.

Unless, you're a bryopsis sympathizer...

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Daniel,

Well, my thought was to err on the side of caution. Here's what I was kind of reasoning:
  1. The first water change isn't going to pull all the meds from the system (I'm not running a skimmer right now or carbon), so some will still be in there.
  2. I don't know of anyone who has doubled down on the dosage, so I was kind of leery of just dropping another dose in on top of what ever is left over from the first one.
  3. This stuff is working so well, that I fully expect all visible algae to be gone with 14 days of the 1st dose, so the 2nd dose would just be for "good measure" to be sure the crap is really gone...
But now you guys have me thinking, meh, I'll just do the water change at 14 days and restart the dose. think that's safe? My only other concern was that with the heightened dose of Fluconazole, the fish might suffer in some way. Maybe @Humblefish or @melypr1985 could speak to that concern?

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most drugs we use have some photo-degredation studies associated with them and it was one of the big challenges with the Cipro treatment for Nems. In laymens terms, the longer it is exposed to light, the further it breaks down. Just a quick google search I can find a photo-degredation study of fluconazole in UV light. Like I said I haven't read through the Bryopsis thread, but if the initial dosage time was said to be 5-6 days that may have simply been beacuse of the percentage of the drug that becomes inert (useless essentially) after that time in our aquariums. Again, being fungal and not bacterial fluconazole is not a drug I have looked into much in my Nem studies, so I can't help you there, but @Humblefish may have a better answer.

So yeah, there could be a lot more factors in play then just the basic, put it in, take ti out type of thing you might be thinking.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most drugs we use have some photo-degredation studies associated with them and it was one of the big challenges with the Cipro treatment for Nems. In laymens terms, the longer it is exposed to light, the further it breaks down. Just a quick google search I can find a photo-degredation study of fluconazole in UV light. Like I said I haven't read through the Bryopsis thread, but if the initial dosage time was said to be 5-6 days that may have simply been beacuse of the percentage of the drug that becomes inert (useless essentially) after that time in our aquariums. Again, being fungal and not bacterial fluconazole is not a drug I have looked into much in my Nem studies, so I can't help you there, but @Humblefish may have a better answer.

So yeah, there could be a lot more factors in play then just the basic, put it in, take ti out type of thing you might be thinking.
Interesting. Now I'm leaning toward doing a WC at 14 days and redosing. Maybe @NCreefguy will chime in too.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to see it working!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got some great encrusting going on by some of those acros!!!!!

Excellent on the Fluconazole treatment, you can sure tell the difference.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really hard to make a call one way or the other Daniel. It is obvious that it is working. Like I said, I don't personally know other then a quick google search how it is effected by pH, Light, heat...etc, but as always with many of these drugs we have to try to piece meal data together from studies non aquaria related and extrapolate that data then do testing of our own, none of which have I done.

Out of curiosity though what was your dosage?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really hard to make a call one way or the other Daniel. It is obvious that it is working. Like I said, I don't personally know other then a quick google search how it is effected by pH, Light, heat...etc, but as always with many of these drugs we have to try to piece meal data together from studies non aquaria related and extrapolate that data then do testing of our own, none of which have I done.

Out of curiosity though what was your dosage?
I dosed 1000mg (5 capsules) into the tank (DT is 50g, and I figure after displacement, I MIGHT have 60-65g between tank and sump). The idea was 1 capsule (200mg) per 10g (and I just went with the DT volume...particularly since that would mean using precisely half of the capsules on the front end and reserving 5 more for a second dose if necessary).

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, so even if you did like a 20% water change you'd theoretically be down to 160mg/10g and adding another 200mg/10g with a max concentration of 360mg/10g?

Plus some sluff room because of the sump like you mentioned.

What's the recommended max safe dose?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got it, so even if you did like a 20% water change you'd theoretically be down to 160mg/10g and adding another 200mg/10g with a max concentration of 360mg/10g?

Plus some sluff room because of the sump like you mentioned.

What's the recommended max safe dose?
Ok. I was going to say "not sure," but then it occurred to me that I could check the bottle to see what the dosage is for fish. It's 200mg per 2 gallons (I'm nowhere near that). I think I'm safe to dose again without worrying about ill effects. :D

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah so at least you know your fish should be fine, will just have to keep an eye on your corals

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back