Daniel's Reef Savvy 50g Cube - A Recovering Build...

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't Philippine govt will bend you over if you have so much as a sea shell in your pocket.
Ha! Well, I respected all the laws I know of. I did bring a few shells and coral skeletons home that I found on the beach, but I passed through security and lived.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Well, I respected all the laws I know of. I did bring a few shells and coral skeletons home that I found on the beach, but I passed through security and lived.
Several Dive Masters warned me about taking even a shell out... I didn't want to chance it lol.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. I need to clean the glass and do an update on the tank. Most everything seems to be doing good. :) Note to self: I need to specifically get some pics of the BTA and new flame wrasse. :D

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a picture of daniel mixing potions.. WARNING; Picture is NSFW(ife)

IMG_20170826_170837121_HDR.jpg

d_adler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever install the calcium reactor?! If so what did you go with. I have a similar size tank and I'm contemplating going with the cal reactor.

How have you been keeping your parameters stable up till now?

Amazing tank btw!

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude this is cheating, The thread you're following is not even past a page yet and I come here and you're up to 24 pages. I hate you so much right now. Be back in an hour to comment after I read all this. Following...

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude after reading through this whole thread I have come to 1 conclusion. I am NEVER sending you a fish to babysit in case of a move :p

I'll be interested to see how that Somatic stuff works out. I saw it all, but thought it looked super gimmicky. Also looking forward to see how you like and what your thoughts are on the proflux 3.1.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever install the calcium reactor?! If so what did you go with. I have a similar size tank and I'm contemplating going with the cal reactor.

Amazing tank btw!

Daniel is off galavanting in mexico dancing around big hats, so I'll spread some misinformation for him while he's gone.

Daniels Parameters were maintained by infrequent water changes. Which means they weren't stable. Yay !

We got the calcium reaction 95% ready, the last major thing that needs to happen is plugging it in, which means he should have it running sometime next fall.

Dude after reading through this whole thread I have come to 1 conclusion. I am NEVER sending you a fish to babysit in case of a move :p

I'll be interested to see how that Somatic stuff works out. I saw it all, but thought it looked super gimmicky. Also looking forward to see how you like and what your thoughts are on the proflux 3.1.

The Somatic stuff is pretty solid. All of the Vertex gear is pretty solid honestly. The only difference in this particular skimmer and their Vertex 130 is materials, and lack of volute for the pump. Also the pump is inside the chamber, which gives it a smaller footprint -- I suppose that's also note worthy, but definitely isn't a bad thing.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL Rakie. I've actually always been a Reef Octopus guy (hands up don't shoot), but I was kind of intrigued when I saw the Somatic stuff. Kind of one of those, "huh so that's all vertex stuff and it's modular huh, that's different."

Since you're lying for Daniel, any idea why he went with the profilux 3.1 instead of the new one?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL Rakie. I've actually always been a Reef Octopus guy (hands up don't shoot), but I was kind of intrigued when I saw the Somatic stuff. Kind of one of those, "huh so that's all vertex stuff and it's modular huh, that's different."

Since you're lying for Daniel, any idea why he went with the profilux 3.1 instead of the new one?

No worries! I'm using a "Your Reef Aquatics" DC skimmer, which is basically the off brand of Sea Side Aquatics off brand lineup -- Works amazing, zero complaints lol.

As for the Profilux, I'm fairly certain he got a deal he couldn't refuse. Like sure, I'd like a pair of G4 radions, but if someone offers me a pair of G3's for $200... I'm gonna have a hard time ending up with them 4's haha.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last Monday, we received the unexpected news that my father-in-law passed away. This threw us into a tailspin in a huge way since we were not prepared emotionally or fiscally for this. We ended up buying airline tickets that left Tuesday morning so we could be there for the funeral. So, for the last week the tank has been mostly unattended (except for a good friend of ours who fed the fish and topped off the ATO a couple of times). I got home last night (my wife and kids will stay in Mexico until the 28th of this month, so this house seems REALLY very empty).

As for the tank, it seemed to do well for the most part while I've been gone with 2 exceptions: 1) an acro that was doing really well seems to be all but dead at this point. I'm hoping it will recover with a bit of TLC, but we'll see... 2) I have a bryopsis outbreak. :mad::mad::mad: So, now I get to figure out what to do about it. I knew it was in the tank growing in 1 or 2 little places, but so far, I had been successful in just ripping it out about once a month. At this point though, it looks like my top rock has a mohawk going, so I'll need to figure out something to get rid of this stuff once and for all (I'm open to suggestions). I have a bottle of vibrant under the stand (that I have just been too lazy to throw away), and I'm thinking...against my better judgment...about trying it again...last time landed me in dinos...:confused::eek:

I'm also REALLY feeling the urge to buy something new. LOL I really like the LED/T5 Mounting Kit by @AquaticLifeProducts. I think I may have to pull the trigger on one of these before too long.
1.jpg

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your father in law Daniel. My condolences and thoughts and prayers are headed your way. Hopefully you can find something in your tank, to tank your mind off things.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Amazing tank btw!
Thanks! The params have actually been being maintained via water changes. So far that has worked, but I've GOT to get the CalRx online at this point. Despite what @Rakie says, I have to get it going this week...or next week...or the one after that... :D It's a korallin 1502. I got it in a trade. I did also buy a Aquamaxx CalRx to run on the frag system...once I get it going.

Can't say I blame you! LOL Although, they're all doing good now. :p

I got the Profilux 3.1 for only 1 reason...I was able to pick up one from a guy who bought it and never set it up...he had the full system (with plenty of bells and whistles) for about half of retail, so I jumped on it. :D Maybe at some point in the future, I'll upgrade. We'll see.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear about your father in law Daniel. My condolences and thoughts and prayers are headed your way. Hopefully you can find something in your tank, to tank your mind off things.
Thanks, man. It has been a rough time for us to be sure. God is good, though, and while we're certainly sad for his passing, we do believe we will see him again because of the promise of the gospel. We've also received much comfort from family and friends who have been so kind through all of this. Death is certainly a tough thing to deal with, and we have been reminded through this that life is precious and that we should use it while we have it to make the greatest positive and lasting impact we can on others.

I think for me, right now, it's hardest being home without my family, so I'm throwing myself into work and the tank. I hope that I can turn this into a very productive time. Staying busy keeps the time moving quickly. :)

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole is the way to go on Bryopsis. I've been recommending it to everyone I encounter with the dreaded algae.
I've never had an issue, and neither have any of my friends. And we all have fully stocked reef tanks. Dose once, wait 2 weeks, water change and carbon to remove, Enjoy a bryopsis free tank!! Simple

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fluconazole is the way to go on Bryopsis. I've been recommending it to everyone I encounter with the dreaded algae.
I've never had an issue, and neither have any of my friends. And we all have fully stocked reef tanks. Dose once, wait 2 weeks, water change and carbon to remove, Enjoy a bryopsis free tank!! Simple
Thanks! I've got an order of Fluconazole that is supposed to be arriving today. Looking forward to watching algae DIE!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back