Loosing fish

reeferkeith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost twelve fish in the last two weeks. Have five left. Looks like they r eating and moving around just fine. Dead fish didn't look bad either. Checked water parameters and everything is good. Do twenty percent water changes every week using tropic marine mix. Only thing I've changed is how I feed. Was feeding rod's frozen as the primary food and supplementing with pellet and flake. Switched that around. Now feeding mostly pellet and flake. Don't know if I'm starving them or something got into the tank and I'm slowly poisoning them. I'm all out of ideas.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess would be that they are drowning. Is there sufficient gas exchange? Also, there could be some sort of predatory worm. Have you added live rock? From where? How long have you had it? And the last thing that comes to munf mind is, there could be a disease. Some diseases can take out fish in less than 24hrs, and they can be difficult to see. But I am not at all knowledgeable on fish disease.

OP
OP
R

reeferkeith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess would be that they are drowning. Is there sufficient gas exchange? Also, there could be some sort of predatory worm. Have you added live rock? From where? How long have you had it? And the last thing that comes to munf mind is, there could be a disease. Some diseases can take out fish in less than 24hrs, and they can be difficult to see. But I am not at all knowledgeable on fish disease.
The rock I bought back in November and it was dry. I was thinking maybe a parasitic worm.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Lost twelve fish in the last two weeks. Have five left. Looks like they r eating and moving around just fine. Dead fish didn't look bad either. Checked water parameters and everything is good. Do twenty percent water changes every week using tropic marine mix. Only thing I've changed is how I feed. Was feeding rod's frozen as the primary food and supplementing with pellet and flake. Switched that around. Now feeding mostly pellet and flake. Don't know if I'm starving them or something got into the tank and I'm slowly poisoning them. I'm all out of ideas.
How are you checking water?
Are you using RODI water only or also tap from the faucet?
With this much loss, it’s either water or disease
Any issues you have noticed such as heavy breathing, loss of appetite, sudden darting, etc?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off - are you just losing fish, with the invertebrates doing fine? If so, that typically points to a fish disease of some sort.
A video of the fish in the tank, taken under white light would help us identify the issue, or at least to rule some things out.

OP
OP
R

reeferkeith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you checking water?
Are you using RODI water only or also tap from the faucet?
With this much loss, it’s either water or disease
Any issues you have noticed such as heavy breathing, loss of appetite, sudden darting, etc?
Only rodi goes in the tank. Liquid drop test. Remaining fish look great. Had a clown swimming around, next morning dead

OP
OP
R

reeferkeith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off - are you just losing fish, with the invertebrates doing fine? If so, that typically points to a fish disease of some sort.
A video of the fish in the tank, taken under white light would help us identify the issue, or at least to rule some things out.
I don't think so. I have four fish in the tank and their doing fine. Three firefish and a six line. I think I screwed up

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back