Daniel's Reef Savvy 50g Cube - A Recovering Build...

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great! The fluconazole worked great for me too, except now I have a serious dino/cyano outbreak like @melypr1985 described [emoji58]hopefully can clear it up before it takes out the rest of my acans (the bryopsis took out about half of them)

So word of warning- keep an eye out and try to nip it fast if they show up...

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank looks great! The fluconazole worked great for me too, except now I have a serious dino/cyano outbreak like @melypr1985 described [emoji58]hopefully can clear it up before it takes out the rest of my acans (the bryopsis took out about half of them)

So word of warning- keep an eye out and try to nip it fast if they show up...
I did have a few tiny patches of cyano. Nothing major though *knock on wood*. One thing I did was to load my media reactor up with phosguard throughout the woke treatment so that it would take up the phosphate that would be released as the algae died off. Not sure if this may have helped reduce my cyano outbreak, but so far so good.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice updates Daniel, I am glad the your tank is doing great.

Cyano can be treated easily, I had a very bad outbreak after returning from 1 month travel , chemiclean did it quickly for me.

It been A while since I had some free time to be active again on reef2reef, and somehow I stooped getting alerts for all my watched thread !

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy the tank has come a long way, Looking good!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys! I'm pleased with the direction the tank is headed. The frag tank is also almost completely ready to go (I still need to set up the ATO and set up the GHL Profilux 3).

On the DT, gotta set up the calcium reactor. Anyone wanna come test my alk? I hate testing... :p

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I'm pleased with the direction the tank is headed. The frag tank is also almost completely ready to go (I still need to set up the ATO and set up the GHL Profilux 3).

On the DT, gotta set up the calcium reactor. Anyone wanna come test my alk? I hate testing... :p

You can email me a water sample :D

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how everyone experiences the same thing over time... First I had a bad out break of bubble Algae. This happened when I brought my nitrates up. Ha I thought that was a pain to get rid of UNTIL the invasion :eek:
Then I had an invasion of Bryopsis, yikes...that was stubborn i was pulling rock work out and plucking it off :( then came across the Fluconazole thread;Bookworm.
Finally after two treatments I seen that it was on its way out!

Shortly after I took a long weekend only to find my tank covered in Cyano when I returned. I did not want to use any chemicals so water changes and vacuum was the approach. Finally it is gone, I still have remnants of the Cyano but... for the most part it is gone. I think it took two months to get it under control.

There was a lot of maintenance during that time however I managed to keep to it and finally I may have a breather. It has been a while since I took pics it may be a good time now. A couple more months and we will be approaching the one year mark ;)

Your reef aquarium is looking nice.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Funny how everyone experiences the same thing over time... First I had a bad out break of bubble Algae. This happened when I brought my nitrates up. Ha I thought that was a pain to get rid of UNTIL the invasion :eek:
Then I had an invasion of Bryopsis, yikes...that was stubborn i was pulling rock work out and plucking it off :( then came across the Fluconazole thread;Bookworm.
Finally after two treatments I seen that it was on its way out!

Shortly after I took a long weekend only to find my tank covered in Cyano when I returned. I did not want to use any chemicals so water changes and vacuum was the approach. Finally it is gone, I still have remnants of the Cyano but... for the most part it is gone. I think it took two months to get it under control.

There was a lot of maintenance during that time however I managed to keep to it and finally I may have a breather. It has been a while since I took pics it may be a good time now. A couple more months and we will be approaching the one year mark ;)

Your reef aquarium is looking nice.
Thanks! And yep. That's basically been my cycle so far...even down to the not wanting to use any chemicals to fight off the cyano. Ha!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New long tentacle plate coral from RAP! I know it's green, but I REALLY like this thing!

1507606190969.jpg

Ever since I added this coral, my blue flasher keeps going and hiding under it. He comes out quite a bit, but this is like his new favorite spot. Weird? Anybody ever had one do this?

20171009_202530.jpg

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stop killing stuff
LOL! He's not dead. He seems to be breathing normally, but he seems to have decided to act like a diamond goby and burrow out a hole underneath this coral. :confused: I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little worried...

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant the corals, but I forgot you've got fish to sacrifice first.

I would say he's just hiding until he feels safe. THat's super normal for Anthias. In fact... Sometimes they hide to death. Never come out to eat

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I meant the corals, but I forgot you've got fish to sacrifice first.

I would say he's just hiding until he feels safe. THat's super normal for Anthias. In fact... Sometimes they hide to death. Never come out to eat
Right, but this isn't the anthias. This is the blue line flasher wrasse.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ohh... Maybe the Anthias scared him?
Didn't seem to be any aggression that I noticed. Maybe it happened when I wasn't watching. Or maybe the wrasse is just scared regardless.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Btw, here's the new anthias. He also got added yesterday (but there didn't seem to be any aggression).

20171009_220719.jpg

20171009_220535.jpg

20171009_220529.jpg

20171009_220512.jpg

20171009_220504.jpg

Btw, where's @Amoo at? Haven't seen him for a minute...

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple fish that hide under my rockwork that I'm sure if I had sand they would have dug out their own private spot. I dunno if it's from being scared or picked on. Either way it seems to be my more timid fish. Sadly I've lost a few fish who were doing this, but they all end up having flesh wounds so I'm wondering if my Blood Red Shrimp who is a recluse during the day is sneaking up on fish while they're sleeping at night. I'm thinking it's about time to move him to the sump and see if this behavior stops.

Your Anthias looks and is marked exactly like mine. Much more colorful then I thought he was going to be. Really happy with mine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.6%
Back