Danissl's new (used) JBJ RL-30 build

danissl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Figured I'd post this up, I just got started with it. This is my second tank, but I've been in reefing for only 3 months. I have very big plans for this one! I went with a more open sand bed approach, while still having ample space for the future fish. It is going to be an LPS/encrusting SPS tank.

Right now, I have two Spin streams, reefsaver rock, and a 8x8x1" marine pure block in the pump chamber and in the baffles. I have two media baskets (will most likely only be using one) and will be using it as a small refugeium.

I will be adding an g4 XR15 pro possibly a second one depending on how my coral stock grows, along with an mp10, as well as a reefkeeper or similar.

I'll be posting up my stocking list later on! Stay tuned!

20180325_162311.jpg

20180325_162307.jpg

20180323_174058.jpg

20180323_174102.jpg

20180322_223427.jpg

20180322_223537.jpg

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danissl,
First Off:
Welcome to the hobby and thanks for choosing Reef 2 Reef as your home.

Your new build looks good and very well thought out.

Will you be buying the diffuser plate for your Radion?

Freddie

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
Great looking scape. Has depth!!! Spin streams work when submerged. Else you can hear the ticking sound and that can be annoying. What about skimmer?

See if you can upgrade to one inTank media basket. Good luck with your build....

OP
OP
danissl

danissl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danissl,
First Off:
Welcome to the hobby and thanks for choosing Reef 2 Reef as your home.

Your new build looks good and very well thought out.

Will you be buying the diffuser plate for your Radion?

Freddie

Yes I will be, I have been debating if one xr15 will be enough, if I should go xr30, or just wait and add a second xr15 later down the line? How much does the diffuser cut down on output?

Welcome to R2R.
Great looking scape. Has depth!!! Spin streams work when submerged. Else you can hear the ticking sound and that can be annoying. What about skimmer?

See if you can upgrade to one inTank media basket. Good luck with your build....

Thanks! Took me quite awhile to get it to be perfect for me. I "gave up" on my first tank's scape, but refused to this time. I'm actually going to be going with the AquaticLife 115, and yes I've learned about the spinstreams.... never heard it on my biocube, though... I am needing an ATO but I'm not sure which to go with, but I'm due time. I actually have the inTank media basket, I plan on getting rid of the other in place for a neotherm and the skimmer. I'll be posting updates I go!

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I will be, I have been debating if one xr15 will be enough, if I should go xr30, or just wait and add a second xr15 later down the line? How much does the diffuser cut down on output?

Thanks! Took me quite awhile to get it to be perfect for me. I "gave up" on my first tank's scape, but refused to this time. I'm actually going to be going with the AquaticLife 115, and yes I've learned about the spinstreams.... never heard it on my biocube, though... I am needing an ATO but I'm not sure which to go with, but I'm due time. I actually have the inTank media basket, I plan on getting rid of the other in place for a neotherm and the skimmer. I'll be posting updates I go!

My vote if budget permits:
TUNZE Osomilator 3155 or Neptune...

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much does the diffuser cut down on output?
From what I've been reading on the R2R build threads:

The diffuser plate is giving a more even led spread and you only lose about 5% shooting thru the plate from the same output rate.

It's also pre-mixing the led's and cuts out the disco-ball effect.

From what I can tell, it's been a winner and worth the price.

OP
OP
danissl

danissl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've been reading on the R2R build threads:

The diffuser plate is giving a more even led spread and you only lose about 5% shooting thru the plate from the same output rate.

It's also pre-mixing the led's and cuts out the disco-ball effect.

From what I can tell, it's been a winner and worth the price.
I have been researching the photon v2 16 by reefbreeders and they look really nice... theres a lot of competition for led lighting these days.

My vote if budget permits:
TUNZE Osomilator 3155 or Neptune...
If I buy an apex in the future I'll go the Neptune route.. but After consideration I think I have decided on the
"AUQA GADGET TITANIUM HYDROFILL ATO CONTROLLER"

OP
OP
danissl

danissl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, its been awhile, over a year now infact! Ive finally began adding coral (and fish... but one in particular has been an issue) after running the tank as FOWLR this while. My ORA indigo dottyback will be rehomed soon since he decided to destroy my mated banggai cardinals and clown goby after being fine for awhile... which is sad. Ive added a scoly, acan, mystery monti, and a bright green favia, and decided to switch it up and try T5s! Two coral+, two purple+. Thinking of adding an actinic LED strip to turn on to show people more pop when over, so if you recommend any, let me know! No pictures on any other corals beyond the favia atm, but i will update as i go! Hoping to keep up with the updates! I feel terrible about what happened to my other livestock and will be getting another mated banggai pair and possibly a longnose hawk, and most likely keep that as the stocking besides inverts, which i need to be careful with, regarding the longnose. If anyone wants the indigo let me know! ;Woot I am also upgrading from (and selling) my Aquamai KPS i had originally planned to use and am installing an IceCap Gyre 1k in here since i love how it performs in my other tank!
20190414_195717.jpg

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back