Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

A few updates: (will take pics soon)

1. Added a few more corals, including a nice gorgonian
2. Unfortunately one of the anthias died. I added another to replace but it didn't last long... I think the other 2 are acting aggressively. I'd like to have 3 anthias so I might look for a wild bigger one or try one more time a captive breed (but they only sell in a very small size)
3. Added a Randall Goby and Antena Goby. The Antena goby died overnight for no apparent reason.

Some mishaps but in general all doing good! I can see a little cyano here and there but so far nothing to worry about.

One interesting fact is that I have to constantly adjust the additives dosage to keep the KH at 7.0 and I can see some coral growth, although very slow yet.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Excited to see the pics! Sorry about the losses, but glad things are overall going well!

OP
OP
Dan Reef

Dan Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Tank is doing good. Rocks are completely covered in coralline algae. During the initial days I added Pink & Purple coralline algae from ARC Reef and I must say it really did its job.

I had some fish losses due to different reasons. The White tail kole tang died due to a bacterial infection. The Purple Tang was really aggresive towards him.

Unfortunately both of the gobies died too. I believe it was due to the peroxide bath I gave prior to entering the tank... I added some new anthias and they are doing well, however!

I suspected the clowns got brook. I treated them with Metroplex and they are happy and fine now.

I'm preparing a new 10 gal. quarentine observational tank. I will not add any meds initially. Just need a UV and a tank lid to start!

IMG_7457.jpeg

Some new pics:

IMG_7446.jpeg

IMG_7447.jpeg

The coral below is a combination of frogspawn and hammer. Never saw this one before..

IMG_7448.jpeg

IMG_7451.jpeg

Seriatopora is a fast grower

IMG_7452.jpeg

Happy treated clowns
IMG_7445.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan Reef

Dan Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while!

Happy New Year to everybody and happy reefing!

Since the last update I've added a few corals, a mandarim fish and a Spotted Prawn Goby. I see the mandarim once in a while but the goby I just saw recently and it was the first time after adding him to the tank. I thought he was dead.. but was happy to see him there!

There are some updates needed, however. I'm planning to add a chiller since temperature is getting into a dangerous level now in the brazilian summer.

Corals are doing fine but I barely see growth very likely due to the very low nitrogen and phosphorus in the water. I removed the fleece filter and started dosing Biobase ULNS.

I'm trying to erradicate a flatworm that basically is covering all the rocks and glass. It doesn't seem to harm corals but is ugly to see.. I tried flatworm exit but they didn't bother about it. It's really odd. They are very small and hard to see.

I'll add some new pics later today!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan Reef

Dan Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Some updates!

NO3 has been extremely low and I believe this is the reason of having some cyano. I started dosing Triton NO Beta and will raive NO3 up to 10. Hopefully I can see some faster coral growth..

I now have a new Tomini Tang. I had to remove the Purple Tang for about 10 days to avoid agression. So far it's clear they don't like each other but at least they respect their space.

I'll be soon moving to the full Triton Method. One thing at a time...

IMG_8936.jpeg

IMG_8941.jpeg

IMG_8942.jpeg

IMG_8943.jpeg

IMG_8946.jpeg
IMG_8953.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back