Dark/Black Spots on end and base of Torch Coral ?

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All.

My torch coral has 2 heads. The right head hasn't been fully extending like it normally does. The left appears pretty normal, much more extended.

Today I noticed the right head has black/dark spots at the end? Also see black at the bottom of the head, and appears to be mushroomed over. Any ideas on what it is? I'm assuming its related to it not fully extending.

Something going on with the SPS to its right? Seems to have started right around the same time I added the SPS directly to the right. Too close?

Tank has red goni, hammer, elegance, acan, variety of ZOAs, scolly, bunch of SPS, all doing well.

Last checked paramters:

SG: 1.024
Phosphates: Under .25
Nitrate: 5
PH: 8.3- 8.4
Alk: 8.3
Temp: 80

- 45g (36 x 13 x 24)
- Reef Breeders Photon V2 hung using brackets in medium position. Using their day simulation settings @ 30% power for all channels.

Video: (Just got done spot feeding everyone with reef roids, so not everything fully extended).

20170418_121609.jpg

20170418_121556.jpg

20170418_121345.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats weird. What kind of dip did you use? You may wnt to use a light peroxide or Iodine if its an infection or such.

And off topic, your acros are going to want about 5 to 50 times as much flow as that torch. Id move it down so you can blast the SPS w flow.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my torch for about a month. Didnt do a dip. No issues up until I put the acros in. You can see them to the right of the torch. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or if really related. Besides that, the far right I have an elegance. I have since moved further away and down. I don't think it could have reached the torch.

My elegance has been doing amazingly well and looks like it's going to take over my tank... ha.

I just began running Aquavitro Fuel. I did just start running reef roids. I did give it a nice and personal feeding earlier today. Couldn't really tell if it was taking it in.

My goni was a pain at first, took a week to open. Doing very well and loves reef roids. My hammer and frog spawn are also super well.

If it were a problem with the torch itself, why only one head? It did have medium/medium high flow, but was super happy and fully extended up until 4 days ago. I have since moved the torch to the bottom right of tank where I have medium low flow. I did adjust flow directlynnette at the acros as well.

Any ideas is appreciated.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my torch for about a month. Didnt do a dip. No issues up until I put the acros in. You can see them to the right of the torch. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or if really related. Besides that, the far right I have an elegance. I have since moved further away and down. I don't think it could have reached the torch.

My elegance has been doing amazingly well and looks like it's going to take over my tank... ha.

I just began running Aquavitro Fuel. I did just start running reef roids. I did give it a nice and personal feeding earlier today. Couldn't really tell if it was taking it in.

My goni was a pain at first, took a week to open. Doing very well and loves reef roids. My hammer and frog spawn are also super well.

If it were a problem with the torch itself, why only one head? It did have medium/medium high flow, but was super happy and fully extended up until 4 days ago. I have since moved the torch to the bottom right of tank where I have medium low flow. I did adjust flow directlynnette at the acros as well.

Yea it could have been a sting I suppose.

Keep an eye on it. Iodine or coral rx if it starts to degrade.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance this cold be flat worm? Showing up after a month? All other coral looks OK. Only effecting right head?

Thinking of buying Revive Coral Cleaner Dip by Two Little Fishies.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance this cold be flat worm? Showing up after a month? All other coral looks OK. Only effecting right head?

Thinking of buying Revive Coral Cleaner Dip by Two Little Fishies.
Doenst look like it. But Revive is a good all around anti can anti bug anti alage dip

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'll keep everyone posted. Hopefully it recovers. As of yesterday at noon, the color was slightly lighter than the other head. Sure looks sick. Not fully extended. Hopefully alternating fuel and reef roids will spark it back to health.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'll keep everyone posted. Hopefully it recovers. As of yesterday at noon, the color was slightly lighter than the other head. Sure looks sick. Not fully extended. Hopefully alternating fuel and reef roids will spark it back to health.
frozen food will make it happier too.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the flesh actually touching the rock? That might be annoying it as well.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Both heads were going down the same path. Other head started to get black spots. Color fading. Both were in very rough shape. Thought for sure we were gonna lose them.

We did a 12 min dip on Saturday with Revive Coral Cleaner Dip by Two Little Fishies. Did not see anything drop off from it. Unbelievably they appear to be making a come back. Extending more and more every day and looking much healthier. No more black spots. No clue what was going on or what it had. Placement did not seem to be the issue.

Two Little Fishies has a new customer.

Sonnyg187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am having this problem now what do I do pull em out and dip in peroxide

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 50 42.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 26 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.1%
Back