Dark water from driftwood

gr2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I wanted to know if anyone knew how to remove the orange/dark water tint from in the tank from adding driftwood? I wanted to add driftwood and was ok with the orange tint it gives in the water but it made it super dark when I barely put any in. Does anyone know how to make it relatively clear again? I already glued my plants on and put it in the water.
Please let me know thanks!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I wanted to know if anyone knew how to remove the orange/dark water tint from in the tank from adding driftwood? I wanted to add driftwood and was ok with the orange tint it gives in the water but it made it super dark when I barely put any in. Does anyone know how to make it relatively clear again? I already glued my plants on and put it in the water.
Please let me know thanks!

I would think some good activated carbon or some Poly Filter would clear it up. If keeps leaching that much it may need to be tossed out.

Is it in a freshwater tank?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gr2

gr2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s in a Brackish water tank the salinity is currently at 1.008sg. It’s the smallest piece of wood I have in there but it leaked out so much already

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gr2

gr2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you clean the wood?
I ran it under hot water for a bit before attaching my plants and putting it in, but I didn’t boil it because I wanted the tint in the water but I didn’t think it was gonna be really dark and so much for such a small piece of wood

Upvote 0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s in a Brackish water tank the salinity is currently at 1.008sg. It’s the smallest piece of wood I have in there but it leaked out so much already

Just remember that brackish water's ph should be at 7.5 to 8.4 and driftwood could lower that parameter.

Digging your puffer avatar... :)

Upvote 0

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should leach out after a while. If it's just a small chunk, it probably won't lower the ph. Just keep an eye on it.

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back