Database for 'new tank' photos from 1-12 months (or more?)

greeno1645

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious... a picture is worth a thousand words, right?

Seems you can search about any topic in this forum and find some great info, but I'm wondering if any thought has gone into creating a photo database of photos used in this forum that are catagorized by tank age, maybe a catagory for each week in the first month, then monthly catagories for the first year, then maybe annual catagories for the first 5 years...etc.

In addition to searching by age, each photo could be also be searched by tank size. Then, once you click on the photo, you could find additional subtext regarding lighting, filtration, cycling method, water chemistry, inhabitants, and observations on operational status (ie. algae/bacteria blooms, growth of corals, fish disease, etc).

So, for instance, if I wanted to compare my 30g set up that I started 7 weeks ago with photos of another of similar size/age, I could go to the database, search tank size - '40', and age of tank - '2 months', and the database would return photos of similar tanks for comparison.

I'm always wondering how my tank, at its early stage, compares to others of similar size and age... I think most people share that curiosity.

Currently, if I use the search in the forum for '40 gallon 2 months', the search will pulls a broad list of posts, some of which match my intended photo search, but others just have the keywords in the text and have nothing to do with my intended search.

Just a thought... seems like there are a lot of photos already uploaded here that could create such a database fairly easily, and of course, members could upload additional photos (and create catagories, too - like 'stages of coraline algae') to further build a comprehensive database.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks vary so much over any kind of timeframe that it's really hard to make an apples to apples comparison (mainly because you're comparing apples, oranges, plums, pears, peaches and even watermelons).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back