OP
Jeight

Jeight

Mumble
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will come, it takes time. Can't rush a good thing. Diatoms will pass. Head up, keep pressing on! You've got this.

Yes I know and thank you for the kind words :)

That is a really clean looking cabinet. Blends with the room, but has interest enough built in to stand proudly.

Thank you...we had that wall in our kitchen that was far enough from cooking and really nothing we could do with it and my wife's only criteria for a tank was she wanted saltwater and for it to fit in with the rest of the kitchen...Im a black tank black base african cichlids type of hobbyist my one time trial in salt water ended in tragedy 20+ years ago and I swore I would never waste larges sums of money on reefing again...never say never :)

OP
OP
Jeight

Jeight

Mumble
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wednesday weekly update #7

Been an okay reefing week. I turned down the whites on my AI hydras and stopped running the white t5 and I think I see progress in the diatom situation...also moved my gyres a little higher and horizontal instead of vertical for max flow on my aquascape.

Hippo tang is eating like a pig have been treating the food I feed with metro/focus to ensure no parasites was kind of spooked by the yellow tang dieing ..did a freshwater soak after death and did not see any parasites come off and the hippo's poop is normal no white stringy poop so I feeel better but still using the metro as a precaution.

Ordered a ton of meds to keep in my "fish medicine cabinet" and am working on getting everything I need for a QT tank. Will never add anything again without a QT or dip for corals.

ORP is low ..190-200 range I believe because of the diatoms..all other parameters look good

Cable management done so sump looks much better...did have issues with the lines from DOS for part 3a 3b triton core 7 getting crusty on the ends but have spaced them out more and am keeping them higher up in the sump so the water does not splash back on the tubing

Woke up Tues morning with my smallest ocellaris in my overflow box...got him out and told him hes a naughty boy and do not do that again..no harm no foul

Received a light shade for my kessilh380 from TheHarold in the forums DIY 3d printing sub and it helps tremendously with lighting splash over in the rest of the sump and should stop the skimmer from getting algae'd up

Will post a pic maybe tomorrow of the sump and the kessil with the shade on

Happy Reefing and Cheers

OP
OP
Jeight

Jeight

Mumble
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly Wednesday update #8

Lost my RBTA she is either DOA (most likely since almost my entire cleanup crew was at the base of her favorite rock) of hiding.

Was dosing metroplex in food bound with focus ...have seen all fish poop normal so I finished out the food I had made and quit dosing I believe this may have been what was disturbing the RBTA.

Diatom phase seems to be over.. used a dose of Vibrant and tank is crystal clear and the aquascape is going back to a normal color.

Have an appointment tomorrow to check out some softies, mushrooms, and SPS at Tidal Gardens. Than the owner makes the best youtube vids on corals and they are one of the reasons I got back into the hobby...this trip is like going to Mecca or the Holy land and its only 15 mins from my house...I did not know this when I started down the rabbit hole of watching reef videos.

Have acquired most of the must haves from the R2R QT medicine cabinet post https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/medications-to-keep-on-hand.213574/ and also aquired a couple small tanks to use for QT. This subforum is like a bible for fish illness https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/ thank you to Hotrocks and humblefish for helping us all get it right.

Short rant...90% of the LFS's near me are idiots, liers, scammers, and flat out negligent. I am almost convined that I should purchase fish from a reputable online source than buy fish out of tanks that look worse than petco. I saw a 120 locally that had a serious asterina star problem and the owner said they are not that big of a deal. When I asked about fish in another tank he assured me all fish were healthy because they all used the same filter system...so the asternas, majanos, and other pests I saw in other tanks all share the same filter system as the tank I was interested in purchasing from...what the heck..noped right out of there.

Till next week cheers and happy reefing!

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly Wednesday update #8

Lost my RBTA she is either DOA (most likely since almost my entire cleanup crew was at the base of her favorite rock) of hiding.

Was dosing metroplex in food bound with focus ...have seen all fish poop normal so I finished out the food I had made and quit dosing I believe this may have been what was disturbing the RBTA.

Diatom phase seems to be over.. used a dose of Vibrant and tank is crystal clear and the aquascape is going back to a normal color.

Have an appointment tomorrow to check out some softies, mushrooms, and SPS at Tidal Gardens. Than the owner makes the best youtube vids on corals and they are one of the reasons I got back into the hobby...this trip is like going to Mecca or the Holy land and its only 15 mins from my house...I did not know this when I started down the rabbit hole of watching reef videos.

Have acquired most of the must haves from the R2R QT medicine cabinet post https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/medications-to-keep-on-hand.213574/ and also aquired a couple small tanks to use for QT. This subforum is like a bible for fish illness https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/ thank you to Hotrocks and humblefish for helping us all get it right.

Short rant...90% of the LFS's near me are idiots, liers, scammers, and flat out negligent. I am almost convined that I should purchase fish from a reputable online source than buy fish out of tanks that look worse than petco. I saw a 120 locally that had a serious asterina star problem and the owner said they are not that big of a deal. When I asked about fish in another tank he assured me all fish were healthy because they all used the same filter system...so the asternas, majanos, and other pests I saw in other tanks all share the same filter system as the tank I was interested in purchasing from...what the heck..noped right out of there.

Till next week cheers and happy reefing!

Will expect to see a selfie w u and Than!

OP
OP
Jeight

Jeight

Mumble
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will expect to see a selfie w u and Than!

I was giddy like a fan boy when we met..got to meet his mom and dad whom you never get to see in his vids...To be honest had I asked for a selfie I think my wife would have punched me...was really hard for her to understand that he is a youtube star and that I felt like I knew him from watching so many of his videos...I think if I had said Than one more time she might have left me there :)

Skipped a week on updates will get back to it this week...had alot going on IRL the last couple weeks.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Youtube celebrities that are "famous" because of incomparable knowledge, dedication, and experience are NOT cool. MTV and instagram celebrities that are famous for having fantastic eyelashes, enormous breasts, or incredibly wealthy parents ARE cool. Imagine if Than worked on his lashes :p

OP
OP
Jeight

Jeight

Mumble
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Youtube celebrities that are "famous" because of incomparable knowledge, dedication, and experience are NOT cool. MTV and instagram celebrities that are famous for having fantastic eyelashes, enormous breasts, or incredibly wealthy parents ARE cool. Imagine if Than worked on his lashes :p

Probably just need the brows done..hes a very dapper dresser already :)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back